Monday, August 20, 2012

School Transitions

     We returned from Las Cruces, NM last night.  It's official.  James is a college student at NMSU.  We've gone from a family of four here at home to a family of three.  I'll write more about it later, but we have hit a huge milestone in our lives; our firstborn is flying away.  Until then, I have more about the golf from this summer to post.

8-6-12
   
    I played my final round of “free” golf today.  I say free because school starts tomorrow, so the rest of the rounds for this season will have “school stress” attached, but that’s okay.  It’s been a record summer for me as far as golf is concerned, and I have no regrets.  I’ve won a tournament with Chris, scored my lowest score ever, scored three eagles and tons of birdies.  Not bad for a guy who had brain surgery the previous summer.  After scoring my 74, I followed it up a few rounds later by breaking 80 again, just today with an adjusted 78.  And, of course I am looking forward to school and my new second grade class.
    The following are the descriptions of the latest birdies and eagles in chronological order...


Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #27 of 2012

    This one took place while playing 18 holes with Bruce last Sunday.  We played the escalating skins game that I enjoy so much.  My driver worked again, getting my ball up within 9-iron range.  The flag was hidden behind the hill on the left, and my approach headed that way, but it looked a little “lefter” than the hole.  When I found my ball, it was just off the green on the back left side, and it took one long putt and one short one to finish with a starting birdie.  Bruce got a birdie also, though, so the money was pushed to the next hole.  I’ll add more about how this match turned out later.  It was one of the best we’ve had, and we really pushed each other to some great play, especially on the back nine.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #9-Eagle #2 of 2012

    On the very next day, Cameron and I were going to play together, but he had already started with another group.  I chose instead to go over to #1 by myself since they were just starting on hole #13.  I got distracted with a little more than an hour’s worth of short game practice on the newly remodeled practice green, though.  I practiced there again today.  Holes dot the green in various spots now, and the green is much less sloped, making it more realistic than it was originally.  It’s fantastic now, and one of my favorite places on the course.
    Cameron and Jeremy saw me playing #1 when they were done, and they did their best to catch me on the front nine, but they never did.  I visited with them briefly when I was on #3 and they were on #1.  They repeated that they would catch up to me, but I played alone all the way through to this hole even though I was walking slowly and taking my time, and when I came to the tee box I was still alone.  It would have been better to have witnesses for this eagle, but oh well.  It‘s for real.

No comments: