Tuesday, March 19, 2013

We Visit James and Times Are Changing

Written on 3-11-13.

    We are heading back home after a short visit with James.  We miss him, so the visit was even shorter than we wanted.  James didn’t want us to go, and we didn’t want to leave.  We are in a different stage in our lives now, for sure.  We used to take trips like this together, a group of four, a family taking road trips and adventures together.  Now, it’s the three of us going to visit the one.  Change is difficult, but necessary.  James is where he needs to be, though, and we are all going through the beginning of this momentous transition in our lives.
    James graciously agreed to go with me when I played yesterday at the NMSU Golf Course.  We were paired with two of the nicest people anyone would want to play with.  Larry, a 70 something year-old who looked and played more like he was 50, and Marion sp?, who played on the 1976 NMSU volleyball team that made it to...

the Final Four.  She looked and played golf like an athlete, with strong and graceful swings and a calm demeanor.  They said they do golf clinics for children in Lubbock, TX, and I can see how they would be excellent teachers of the game.  Marion played really well, scoring pars on almost every hole.  Larry was consistent, too, and he had the shot of the day on the par five #15 where his approach was less than a foot away on the right side of the pin. 
    I didn’t play well, but I was enjoying the time “alone” with James more than anything.  I worried about him being bored, but he assured me he was fine, and that he wouldn’t have come along if he didn’t want to be there.  On over half of the holes, he would bring out Eric’s putter and drop a ball on or near the green and hole out.
    I got what I wanted.  I got to be with James and play golf.  We had plenty of time to catch up with each other, be outdoors, and just "be" together.
    While we played, Belinda and Danielle went prom dress shopping, but they were not successful.  We are just outside of Albuquerque as I type this, and they are going to give it another go today.  Becca and Amanda are meeting them in Bernalillo to shop for dresses together.  I am going to go play or practice golf again while they do it at the Santa Ana Golf Course.  Given the choice between shopping for prom dresses with four women or playing golf, I choose golf ten times out of ten.  Sorry, girls, but I do wish you well.

No comments: