Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Two Lousy Shots With Surprising Results and an Early Summer Scramble

Also written on 6-10-14.

    In golf, I have a story I’ve been meaning to get in here.  It took place before school got out, but I know I told Bruce that it would be one for the journal, so here I go.
    While playing #15, Bruce had a rare miscue on his approach where he caught it a little fat, causing his ball to head on an arch towards the ditch, but it miraculously missed the ditch (falling short of it) and hit the cart path instead.  From there, it caromed up into the air once more where it landed...on the green.  From there, he made his par after two putts. 
    On the very next hole, I played a similar shot, a shot that looked doomed after leaving the clubface, but somehow ended up just fine.  I caught mine thin.  My ball headed straight for the tree that grows between the teeing ground and the green.  It rattled around in the branches near the top, and it sounded awful, as if it had no chance to continue on its journey after all that ruckus.  Somehow, miraculously, it continued on, though, and like Bruce’s ball ended up on the green.  Thankfully, I was able to finish up in two putts for my par, too.

    On the final day in May, a Saturday, Bruce, C.J., Reilly and I played in a fundraiser for Aztec’s basketball team.  It was a scramble, and we played...

well together, everyone contributing in different ways.  My best contributions were my drives.  We birdied every par five and the par four #13 to get to 8 under.  My drives were used on #1, #2 #5 (best drive and approach), #7 (best drive and approach again), #10, #13, and #18, leading up to six of our birdies.  I also made a sweet little chip to less than a foot on #4 after everyone else had gone but had not gotten it as close.  Reilly made two fairly long putts for birdies on holes #14 and #18.  He was casual about them both, just stepping up and rolling them in.  Ho hum. 
    Bruce said that we would need to get to 18 under to win, and he was close in his prediction.  The winning team, a team of experienced players with low handicaps, got it to 14 under.  That team really raked it in that day, winning two of the drawings for prizes as well.  With our 8 under score, we were one stroke out of a three-way tie for third place.  The only birdie I felt we really should have earned, but didn’t, came on hole #10.  We had three putts that lipped out from about eight feet.  I used up one of our two mulligans to give it one last go, but that one stayed above the hole, so we missed an opportunity there.  We had zero bogeys; generally, it was a respectable round, and I had a great time.

No comments: