Saturday, July 12, 2014

Back to Normal; Golf is Hard

Written on 7-2-14.

    I’m sitting at Webb Toyota.  Our van has a recall, so I am here to get it taken care of, something to do with it possibly slipping out of gear without depressing the brake.
    We are back from our fabulous vacation at Grand Lake, and things are back to “normal.”  James and Danielle are back to work and Belinda and I are back to work on our Summer To Do List. 
    C.J. is interested in playing at Pinon Hills again, and so am I, but after playing golf at Grand Lake...

it’s out of the question.  The only golf I can play for a while is at Hidden Valley because that’s the only golf that is already paid for.
    When we played at Pinon Hills, it was a gorgeous day and a fun match, but I was so disappointed with how I played.  I did not even come close to what I am capable of doing when I play.  This journal is about remembering the better moments in golf, but sometimes it’s worth noting how bad it can be. 
    Golf is hard; that’s what makes it so attractive.  It’s a challenge that will never be mastered, but when I get in my own zone and play well, it’s all worth it, all the struggles and frustrations, and yes, rounds just like this one at Pinon Hills.
    It got so bad that I said these words in my head, “I hate golf.  I HATE IT!”
    Now, that’s not me.  That’s not my style, but it’s truthful.  I really hated golf at that moment, and it’s not hard to see why.  The first hole was a great example of how badly golf can be played, and how easy it can be to get into trouble quickly.  My 5-wood was low, left, and short.  My pitch back to the fairway was fine, just fine.  My approach, however, was short and my ball bounced off one of the hills and into the pond to the right of the green.  My chip onto the green was not far enough, so instead of rolling towards the hole that was on the top tier on the right side, it rolled away from it, settling in the middle.  I used only two putts to finish there, but that seven soured my mood. 
    I remind myself to stay in the present constantly when I play and to accept the results of all of my shots, but when it’s bad, it’s bad.  It took me until hole #4 to earn a bogey.  #5 was a disaster.  Lost ball, go back to the tee, short game miscues, etc.  Ugh.  The entire front nine reminded me of how I played when I started fifteen years ago.  I shot a 55.  It happens.
    The back nine was better.  I started playing the way I am capable of playing.  Not great, but better.

No comments: