Sunday, April 5, 2015

A Lazy Sunday After a Productive Spring Break

    It's Easter Sunday today, but I am posting last Sunday's musings.  Happy Easter!  I am less of a slug this time.  I am working on my lesson plans while watching the Houston Open.  One of my favorite players, J.B. Holmes, is in the clubhouse with the lead.  We'll see if his score of -16 holds.  He scored his lowest closing round ever today with a 64!  Wow!

Written on 3-29-15.

    I am a slug on a Sunday afternoon.  I just finished watching the Texas Valero Open after attending Palm Sunday mass.  Jimmy Walker cruised to a boring victory over Jordan Spieth and Billy Horschel.  It was not exciting to watch, but I am sure it was a thrill for him; this being his 5th PGA Tour victory.  Things are really coming together for him after nine years of grinding and practicing, many of those years on the web.com tour.   
    I did at least write my class’s newsletter Swope Says… for the upcoming week while I watched.  I am slug-like due to the fact that it’s been a very productive, active, yet fun spring break, the final spring break of our careers.  To continue this slovenly behavior, I am going to sit and write some more.
    For spring break, we got...

many things done, yet none of the things we accomplished were BIG “to do” items.  Let’s see.  We met with our new New York Life agent to adjust our life insurance policy.  The health examiner came a few days ago, and we did well.  Working out and eating healthier foods the past five weeks certainly helped.  I do not know when we will get the results, though, for what status we will receive.         
    We got the garage door fixed after the spring broke in two places.  Hey, our spring broke just before spring break.  Ha!  I drove to the three big hardware stores in Farmington yesterday to find a new trim piece for the bottom of the door.  Strike one was at Lowe’s.  Strike two came at Home Depot and strike three at Ace Hardware.  I will have to call ABC Garage Doors again to order a trim piece now?  I did get the blade on our new Toro lawnmower sharpened at Aztec Hardware, though.  We found a slightly used lawnmower at the Home Depot in Durango.  Our old lawnmower would have cost more to repair than buying this new one, so we scrapped the old one instead.  I thought we had only had that one for five years or so, but Rick the repair guy told us it was a 2003, so we felt better knowing it had lasted for more than a decade and with very little maintenance.  I am lousy at taking care of lawnmowers.  Dad would not be proud. 
    We did go to each other’s schools to help clean out our storage closets.  We spent three hours at B’s school, and I took around a dozen loads to the dumpster and we took half a dozen loads or so to her lounges (they have two).  When we were done, B kept looking in her closet, and she was giddy that it was closer than ever to being presentable for a new teacher.  We spent about two hours cleaning out and going through my closet, too.  Belinda took load after load up to my teacher’s lounge for other teachers to dig through and take whatever.  The hardest part was starting, of course, but my closet also looks much better, and this retirement thing becomes more and more real each day.  To make things even, she still owes me one hour of help.
    Danielle’s computer broke down, so she brought it here to have Connecting Point find the problem and repair it, which they did.  It was a hard drive cable, but it was replaced for “free” because it was still covered under Apple Care.  It could not be repaired in time for her to take it back to school because she and Becca headed back on Thursday in our GMC truck.  Belinda and I picked it up and took it to one of her friends who lives in Farmington, Nathan, who will take it back to her today.  Oh, the things we do for our children. 
    Speaking of children, we had a FaceTime chat with our James yesterday, talking and catching up for about an hour or more.  He was in Austin, Texas with two of his buddies for his spring break.  He is going to go to New Zealand this summer to study abroad.  We really want to see him before he leaves, so we might take a day or a day and a half to go visit him, or he might be able to come here before he leaves.  We will find out more about that this week.  The sound was not coming through on FaceTime alone, so he borrowed his friend’s phone for the audio.  When we hung up on FaceTime, Belinda said, “Well, that was my high for the day!”
    I told her that James had just heard her say that because we hadn’t hung up her phone yet, and we all laughed.  I am certain that James had his high for the day after hearing his mother say that in a spontaneous moment.  We bought him a new suitcase for his upcoming adventure, and Danielle took it to him.  We also offered to help pay for a new laptop before he leaves; his other laptop has lasted a long time (since high school), but it’s time for an upgrade and this trip is a super reason to get a new one.

No comments: