Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Dreamlike Driving

Written on 11-20-15.

    C.J. and I played nine holes yesterday, and the weather was fabulous.  I could go with short sleeves starting at hole #4.  He wanted to play stroke play this time, and he thought three strokes would make it fair and close, but he had some blow-up holes, so it didn’t end up close at all. 
    He played again today, but I have things to do before all the company comes.  We are so looking forward to seeing our babies for this Thanksgiving, and this holiday is made even more special with our 25th wedding anniversary coming up in four days.  She wants pearl earrings, so my plan is to find the most beautiful pearl earrings around.  If I get most of my stuff done today, I can go shopping this afternoon before she comes home from work. 
    I earned another birdie when we played yesterday.  This round, though, in my mind had an even better outcome.  On every par five, I had a consistent drive that put my ball in play where I was intending.  Four huge consistent drives.  What a confidence booster.  No pulls.  No hooks.  No slices.  No low unintended punch shots.  No topped shots.  Every drive was long and straight, and except for #9 when I didn’t aim for the fairway, all were in the fairway, too.  It was...

dreamlike.  And, of course the drive on #5 help set up my birdie.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #5-Birdie #45 of 2015


    I was +2 after going par, bogey, par, bogey on the first four holes.  My biggest swing thought was a simple one: keep my head perfectly still.  It was working every time.  I also teed my ball slightly higher than usual, and I hit up on the golf ball a tad more than I typically do.  There was no doubt where this ball was heading, and it was the center of the fairway.  As I walked to my ball, I dug out leaves from two spots where I thought I might find a sprinkler, but under all the leaves were just caps.  It wouldn’t have mattered for my club choice, though; I was going for the green with my 21 degree utility club no matter what.  This swing was the best of the day.  With my head perfectly still, I swept that ball right off the turf, and it took off up the hill heading right for the green.  It made it!  Wow!  With two shots, I was on the green on this monster of an uphill par five.  Okay, it only says 444 yards from the whites, but it’s longer than that due to the uphill, and we are always sucking air when we get to the top.  This hole is also the #1 handicap hole, and it has the most incredible view of the La Plata mountains. 
    My first putt was from around 30 feet, and it had a big swing from right to left to a hole location that was near the middle on the left side.  I left my eagle putt short, but it did stop nicely just below the hole after breaking about six feet.  The uphill short putt from around three feet required my full attention, and I made sure to give it the speed it needed to get there with my new Cleveland putter.  I still am enjoying the ease of putting with that thing.

No comments: