Sunday, August 28, 2016

Back From Canada, 8 Days of Consulting (sort of), and My Fixx Fix

Written on 7-31-16.

     Wow!  It’s the last day of July, and that means the end of our vacation, too.  We are on our way back to Durango on a United flight, our second to last leg before we drive home.  Amanda and Eric are seated directly in front of Belinda and me.  We are tuckered out, but happy.  When we ate at the Cantina Restaurant at D.I.A., we each recounted some of our favorite memories from this trip, and we found ourselves quickly naming more than one each.  I can’t say that this vacation was better than our 10th anniversary trip to Glacier National Park, but I can say it equaled it, for sure.
     Now that we are headed home, I can start prepping for the upcoming educational consulting I’ll be doing.  I have two Bisti Writing Project workshops, one for a grammar boot camp and another for…

Continued on 8-19-16.

a third basic skills math Saturday workshop.  I had to stop to get ready for landing there (tray tables up, seats in full forward position, etc.), so that’s why it ended so abruptly.
     Now, I am sitting next to Belinda in our Escape, and we are escaping to Denver for a concert.  We will also get caught up with Mom, Dad, Bev, Curt, Daryl, Katie, Joe, Tammy, Darrell and his family, and Colin and his family, too.  It's going to be a great weekend, and I will be able to cross something off of my bucket list, seeing The Fixx in concert, one of my favorite bands from high school and on.  They are playing with Huey Lewis and the News, The Go-Go’s, and Kool and the Gang.  Wow!  It’s going to be a super 80’s style shindig.
     I haven’t written for so long because...
A. I haven’t played much golf, B. I’ve been working on all of my professional development delivery, and C. I haven’t taken the time to write.  
     I had eight straight days (sort of) of professional development through four different opportunities/places.  Regretfully and thankfully, one of them fell through to ease up on the amount of work.  Nobody showed up for the EDGE grammar, mechanics, and usage classes, but we still used part of that time to adjust the schedule and the format for the fall.  
     I did two half-day Time to Teach trainings, the first of two at Koogler, and the second of three at Kirtland Middle School.  I went back to Santa Fe for the fifth time for another technology training, and I did two days of presentations on Web 2.0 presentation sites while there.  
     The Sunday before those was a day of traveling, not presenting, so that’s why I said “sort of” above.  The other was our third NES basic math skills workshop last Saturday.  Wow!  That’s a lot.  It’s what I’ve been working so hard on, though; I want to be this busy with trainings/workshops.
     I did get to play golf with C.J. and Bruce the Wednesday before I left for Santa Fe, though.  Then we played again this past Wednesday.  Wednesdays are the best days for playing at Hidden Valley, because the course is mostly all ours.  They told me Mondays are super crowded now due to discounted $15 rounds.  In the first match, I recommended C.J. and I take on Bruce, and it was a close, exciting match.  This past Wednesday, we played the points game, the one that Bruce usually wins, and it was fun and exciting, too.  During each round, I earned one birdie, so I need to get those in here.  Thank goodness for the birdie count; it’s what gets and keeps me writing.  That and my blog.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #4-Birdie #34 of 2016


     The teeing ground has been down below the more frequently used teeing ground up on the hill, so this green was much closer than normal.  From the top, I’ve used my 8-iron or my 9-iron depending on the hole location.  The flag was down on the bottom, so I chose my 9-iron, and it was a smooth swing.  My ball landed hole high, but it was out to the right, and the remaining putt was from around twenty feet or more.  It was a mostly straight putt, and my new philosophy of making sure I get my putts to the hole really helped to ensure that this putt not only made the distance, but also went into the hole.  Getting this birdie helped C.J. and I win a hole against Bruce.


     When we came to hole #18, we were all square with only this hole to play.  It ended controversially, though.  Bruce’s tee shot headed for the trees between #3 and #18, and when we got there we could not find it, but a guy who was playing #3 drove up in a golf cart and said he had found a ball there.  He wasn’t exactly sure where, but he said it was “under the trees.”  Bruce placed it in a spot that was impossible to go for the green, despite my telling him to give himself the best advantage he thought possible.  He ended up with a bogey to my par, so that is how we won one up.  Because it was so close, I felt justified in choosing our game for the day.

No comments: