Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Back in Abiquiu

Written on 9-12-17.

     I am back at the Abiquiu Inn, but my view is not as great as it has been during other stays.  I’m sitting on the front porch of rooms 10 and 11 (I’m in 10), and the grill of our truck is smiling at me from right here in its parking space.  A construction trailer is across the road and to my left.  Just outside of the trailer, a porta-potty sits, but it’s getting dark, so I can barely see it anymore.    
     I will be here (in this area) for three days for this CORE visit.  I’ll spend the first two nights here and my final night at the Ojo Resort.  It just worked out that way.  The Abiquiu Inn only had these two nights available, and I got the final room available on Thursday night at Ojo.  Phew.  
     Belinda is watching PV host Durango for volleyball tonight.  That would be a fun match to watch, but at least she is updating me occasionally.  It’s only 7:48, but I am suddenly feeling tuckered out.  I did a lot of reading about the program called Math Solutions tonight, and I also watched the majority of the clips on the included DVD.
     In golf, I have three birdies to catch up on, and when I last wrote, I said I would recount the GIR game I played with C.J.  Here I go.  
     First, I was discouraged by my play during those four days in a row, especially on the front nine, but when I look at the scorecards, I see I improved as the week went by.  I started with a 48 and then a 50 on the front nine.  On the second day, though, I shot a 46 and a 44.  With handicap adjustments, due to some blow-up holes, it sounds even better, of course.  On the second day, with those adjustments, I shot a 44 and a 43.
     It was similar with my play on the back nine.  I played it three times, because I played the front nine one last time on the second to last day, but only six of those holes due to the aeration and the sanding of the greens.  They closed #6, #7, and #8 that day.  On the back, I shot a 42, a 41, and a final 38, so once again I improved on both the front and the back nines as the week went by.      
     I played decently when C.J. and I faced off with the GIR game.  I hit three greens when we played the front nine the first time, and then I hit four on the second go-around.  C.J. struggled after his great play from the round before, so the score at the end of this game was 55 to 17.  He did get a sweet birdie on hole #4, though, for eight points.  
     This is how we scored it.  A GIR was worth 5 points, but only if two putts were used.  Using only one putt was worth seven points.  Using three putts was worth only three points, but we thought it would be better next time to get only two (it should be more punishing to triple-putt, we thought).  If a player got up and down for a par, it was worth three points.  Winning a hole was worth one point, too.  

     I was working hard to get 5 greens per nine, but it didn’t work out.  At least I got the win this time.

No comments: