Monday, December 31, 2018

A New Wishon 919 THI Driver and Thanksgiving

Written on 11-8-18.

     After some searching and sampling, I finally chose to buy a “new to me” driver.  It’s the Wishon 919 THI, and it has the stiff shaft and 11 degrees of loft.  I am very happy with my choice, and it only cost me $80.00.  Don asked for $75.00, but I got an ATM withdrawal for $80.00, so that’s what I gave him. On some holes, I have already had the longest drives I’ve ever had due to it being better suited to my swing.  
     Before I get to the latest birdie (with the help of that new driver), Danielle and I ended up seeing Bohemian Rhapsody yesterday instead of my watching it alone after going to that new Durango Joe’s five days ago.  It was a thoroughly entertaining and well-acted movie, and I highly recommend it.  Rami Malek was the best part; he was amazing with his performance and likeness of Freddy Mercury.  I grew up with Queen and Freddy Mercury songs, so it was great to reminisce, too.  In many ways, it was like going to a live concert, and I enjoyed seeing the origins of many of their most popular songs, too, including Bohemian Rhapsody, of course.

On to golf…

     I played with C.J. a few days ago, and we ended up playing match play on the front nine.  We agreed that he should get a pop on every hole, and that was because he was only playing with one club, his 7-iron.  I won the first hole, because I...
earned a birdie.  What a super way to start off with my new driver!  That hole is incredibly difficult to birdie now as a longer par four.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #47 of 2018             

     He did not notice my new driver until I showed it to him after my drive.  My drive was the farthest I have ever hit on this hole.  Not only was it past the cottonwood that’s in the middle of the fairway, but it ended up in the rough area that is past that tree and on the right side.  I was left with less than a pitching wedge’s distance, but I chose my pitching wedge anyway, due to the uneven, dirt-like lie.  
     My approach came out low, and it sailed by the tree next to the hill on the right side of the entrance to the green.  It looked like it flew under the boughs of that tree, but it really shot by them on the left side.  I could not see where the ball ended up, but I was very pleased to see it was just a couple of feet from the hole on the left side.  The putt was not super easy, but it was not super hard either.  I just had to put it on the correct line to make sure it dropped in, and it did.  

     That’s all for now.  Belinda and I are heading out to watch Kacee play in her second round of district play.

Until next time…

Written on 11-22-18, Thanksgiving Day.

     This year is slowly coming to a close.  I did play golf recently at Pinon Hills, but it was only for 14 holes (I paid for nine, but I was allowed to continue until it got dark), and I did not earn any birdies.  I did, however, have some spectacularly long drives with my new driver.  On hole #2, my drive left me with only 63 yards to the flag that was on the back left side.  I have never had a drive as long as that on that hole.  My playing partner for this round, Dan, the owner of Clancy’s for 40 years in Farmington, was impressed; he had never seen a drive that long on that hole either, and he plays there all the time.  He is a member there, and he has played/walked so much that he has lost over 70 pounds.  Impressive.
     My drive on #3 was the longest I’ve ever had for that hole, too.  I was only 126 yards from the pin, and it was on the back right side.  I managed a par on that hole and on hole #6.  On #6, my drive put my ball in a rocky lie on the right side of the fairway, but I was only 90 yards away from the pin.  After a cleanly picked approach with my approach wedge and two putts, I had earned another par.  I managed one other par on hole #10, and my driver was a big part of the reason once again.  I was only 117 yards from that hole, but it was on the front left side this time.  
I am not certain if I will play golf again this year, but it’s likely.  We will have a few more good weather days before the new year begins.  I’m extremely encouraged about next year with my new irons and my new driver.

On to other things besides golf…

     I am sitting in my Mom and Dad’s basement.  I am flipping back and forth between The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on TNT and the 2018 World Cup of Golf.  In between the flips and the good parts, I am writing.  
     Danielle has just landed in New Zealand for her visit with James.  She will be there through December 10th, and we are so happy for them.  He treated her by paying for half of her airline fare as a gift for her college graduation, even though she hasn’t graduated yet.  This May, she will, however.
     We just had a delicious and satisfying (in many ways) Thanksgiving meal yesterday in Colorado Springs at Bev and Curt’s house.  Unfortunately, Emily had a sore throat and the chills, so she went back to their new home to sleep it off.  Before the dinner, and before Em really crashed, we got a tour of their new townhome courtesy of Carter.  It’s just what they wanted and just inside their price range.  It has three levels, starting with a “man cave” on the bottom level.  The living area is on the main floor, and it has an open space with a living room, kitchen, dining room, and guest bathroom.  On the top floor, the bedrooms round out their new residence.  They have a master bedroom and bath, another guest bathroom, and two more bedrooms.  Their friend, Jordan, is staying with them after breaking up with her boyfriend.  Carter says it’s a good arrangement.  
     During the dinner, we got to spend plenty of quality time with Daryl, Katie, and Adison.  Adison is really growing fast, and she was great entertainment.  She mimics her Mom’s mouthy noises, dances while sitting on her bottom, and is figuring out the whole eating thing.  Daryl arranged for Belinda to sit next to her during dinner.   
     We played Sequence, of course, and Dad and Bev teamed up to claim the most wins of the evening, four.  Mom and I only managed one victory.  The food, the company, the conversations were wonderful, and it proved that we have so much to be thankful for.  Now, it’s Thanksgiving Day, and we’ve had lunch out with Barry at Dave’s Chuckwagon Diner.  Tonight, especially after all of the delicious, yet mostly unhealthy food, we plan on having a salad.  Enough for now.  Quiet time ends soon, and then it will be time for salad.  


Until next time…

No comments: