Monday, October 26, 2020

A Rare Pandemic Bird

Written on 7-18-2020.

        It’s AnnMarie’s birthday today.  I just wished her birthday wishes with a text and on FB, also.  

I just had to restart my MacBook Air again, because the Bluetooth keyboard was slow and delayed.  The background somehow changed, too.  I don’t know why, but a restart always gets it going smoothly again.  Then I just changed the background back to what it was.  It’s a quick and reliable fix.

Not much going on this Saturday.  B and I pulled weeds this morning, because it rained for over a half hour last night.  It made pulling weeds easy, but now it’s a nappy afternoon.  

B and I have our own projects going.  She is starting her own Shutterfly account, so she can upload pictures and order prints before James comes home.  The cork board in the kids’ hallway is the place where she likes to post the most recent pictures.

I am writing (obviously), and I am watching the Memorial Tournament on CBS online.  My little project is making a makeshift copy of the Steadhead training aid.  I used a clip, a short USB charging cord, and two bright orange earplugs to make it.  I saved $24.99 by doing that, but I wonder if it will work.  It actually looks pretty good for being homemade.


Speaking of golf…


I played with Shawn yesterday at Riverview.  That makes four times I have played since my new swing change, and that is probably a bit too much.  

I didn’t really want...

to play yesterday.  Honestly, I did it for Eric and C.J., and they ended up not coming.  I set an early tee time at 7:50 at Eric’s request and a Friday tee time at C.J., but they both couldn’t play, and they were for legitimate reasons.  Eric is busy with work, and C.J. had a doctor’s appointment.   No big deal.  I tried.

I got a birdie when I played, so it was worth it!  Finally!  This is the first birdie with the new swing.  Because of that bright spot in this storm of a swing change, it was wonderful.


Riverview-Hole #11-Birdie #3 of 2020


Considering the pandemic is going on…and on…and on, I feel very fortunate to even get to play golf.  Riverview did ask that everyone use masks (no big deal and part of the newer normal), but they had a sign outside the pro shop that also said even while playing golf (nope, not doing that).  Nobody was wearing masks while out on the golf course.  I think the governor just made this change, but they weren’t enforcing it.

I chose my Warrior driver, and I swung my drive with that new swing up to the rough near the cart path.  It came to rest on a hill close to a rectangular sprinkler box.  I chose my 5-iron next, and I was just looking to lay up with it.  It worked out, but it nearly didn’t.  It headed left, but it stopped short of going into the desert rough, curling to the right to a plateau above the green and around 135 yards away.

From there, it was my pitching wedge and a smooth swing onto the green.  My golf ball was in the middle, but the hole was on the back, and it was cut right on the edge of the tier there.

Shawn went for it in two shots.  He joked that he didn’t pay $28.00 to not go for it.  He got on the green in three, though, and waited for me to putt.  He wanted to get his third shot on that top tier, but it didn’t work out.  He took another shot from the same spot, though, and then he got it on that tier.  Second shots are almost always better.

I made that long putt.  After it fell in, I walked it off, and it was around 18 steps from the hole.  It rolled straight at first, turned left, went up the hill, and stopped in the hole!  Cool!  Shawn was impressed and said, “Great putt.”

Or, he said something like that.

No comments: