Sunday, November 29, 2020

James Comes Home and 36 Holes at Riverview

Written on 8-1-2020.

        B is driving our Escape, and we are on our way to Albuquerque to pick up James.  He is coming home to the U.S.A. for good…we think.  I can picture our embrace right now, and I am certain the tears will be flowing.  Hopefully, we will see him in less than five hours now.  

I learned today that Mom and Dad bought their home at 1542 South Benton Street on this date in history.  That was fifty years ago today!  We always wondered whether I was about two or three years old when we moved into that house, but I was actually coming up on my fourth birthday.  I am 53 now, so if they bought it fifty years ago, I would have been three years old in August way back then.  Wow!  It boggles the mind.

The Edgertons ended up painting/staining their cabin deck on their own, because the sprayer wouldn’t work for them.  I feel bad, because we could have helped them out, but nobody knew the sprayer wouldn’t work.  I chose to play golf instead when I heard we would be free.


On to golf…


I chose to go play golf after two straight days at the range.  I had some really productive sessions during my time on the range, and I mostly had met my goal that I had mentioned earlier.  I thought I was ready, and I was looking forward to seeing the improvement on a golf course.  Wrong.  

It was just not as good as I thought it would be.  Now, I did not...

warm up at the range, so there’s that to consider.  B and I relaxed and slept in knowing that our time alone was ending soon.  I chose to play at Riverview, because they had a tee time available that I could make at 9:50.  They put me with a father/son duo, and we got along right away, but I could sense they wanted to play alone, so we separated after playing hole #2.  

I arrived at 9:20, so I knew I wouldn’t have enough time to go to the range, and I had to go to the bathroom, too, so that really ruled out a chance to warm up properly.  I thought I wouldn’t need it after all of my range practice, but looking back I see it would have helped, since I got better the more I played.

Hole #2 kicked my butt.  The first time, my first two golf balls dived right over the hill and into the water.  They took identical swan dives, and I can laugh about it now.  Thankfully, my third shot with my 6-iron made good enough contact to reach the front of the green.

The second time, I had nearly an identical result.  Hit thin, my balls jumped off the tee and straight into the water.  I was impressed with how consistent each shot was, and because they were so similar, I wondered how close they were to achieving perfect impact.  

The third time, I hit one more into the water with that exact same trajectory, and then I swung through a teed up (higher than normal) 5-iron directly to the middle of the green.  Finally!

I played the front nine twice, and I was so frustrated that I wanted to play again.  I did not want to go to the range once more.  It just didn’t appeal.  The day was incredibly hot, and I would be stuck out in the sun with no relief from the shade.  I could learn something else on the range and take some more videos, but I was honestly sick of the range after two straight days of “bonus” range balls.  

I really wanted to play again and do better.  I wondered how much 18 holes with a cart would cost, so I went in and asked.  It was only $25.00, so I jumped at the chance.

I played the back nine first this time, and I did do better.  I was slicing my drives for the first 18, but I straightened them out for the next 18.  The only problem is I don’t know what I was doing differently to have this success.  

My scores got better, too.  I shot a 57, a 52 and then a 45 and a 50.  I’ll admit that I didn’t have much focus left for that last nine, but my drives were so much better overall.  These holes saw some of my best drives: #1, #4, #5, #7, #8, #9, #10, #14, and #16.  Most of those came in that last round, so I feel good knowing I had figured something out…somehow.  One adjustment I made, and this is just a guess, was aiming left and not swinging so hard.  Maybe that’s why they were better?

I had never thought of myself as a practice or range player until yesterday.  I have done really well on the range lately, but I couldn’t transfer that to superb play on the golf course.  

When I played at Civitan, I didn’t pay much attention to the score.  I was using that round as a practice round, and I paid more attention to my swing.  When I played those two times with Shawn at Pinon Hills and Riverview recently, I could say the same thing.  I wasn’t focused on the outcome.  I was this time, and I think that made a difference.  I really wanted to score better, and I was thinking that this was going to be my first excellent score with this new swing.  I would have said, “Wow!  I figured it out.  Look how straight my ball goes every time!”  

Nope.  It wasn’t meant to be.  Looks like I need more practice and refining.  I can hear Moe saying, “Hard work.  Can’t buy it.”

I did get some pars and a lot of bogeys.  Let me count them.  I managed seven pars and eleven bogeys in 36 holes.  Actually, that’s better than I thought.  I just had some blow-up scores (like #2! %&*$), and those raised my scores a substantial amount.  The best stretch came on the back nine with the final three holes.  I earned three pars in a row, but it was only on #17 where I earned it the “normal” way.  I swung my 8-iron, and my ball landed and rolled right past the flag.  I lagged my putt close, and then I tapped in for my par.  

On #17, I earned my par despite my low approach; my ball ended up just off the green on the right side.  On #18, I had a low tee shot that didn’t go very far, and a thinned 5-iron that ended up short of the green, but I got up and down with my sand wedge and made an excellent putt from about fifteen feet.

I was wiped out.  I ended up with a slight headache, and I moved slowly when I got back home.  I drank a lot of water, reapplied my sunscreen, stayed in the shade often, and rode in a cart for the second 18 holes, but it was still a long, overwhelming day for me.  

I am glad that today I feel mostly recovered.  I felt good enough to run on the treadmill and do a lower body workout this morning, and we both did some housecleaning to get ready for the “prodigal son’s return.”  Well, that’s it for now.  I am going to take over driving again, so I will sign off.


Until next time…

No comments: