Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Getting Back to Todd's Videos and Learning About How to Practice

Written on 10-17-2020.

        I am in the computer room, and it’s 9:30 at night on a Saturday.  Matt and Danielle came here yesterday for the wedding this Saturday in Pagosa Springs.  They left this morning for the bachelor and bachelorette parties.   In their absence, we took Kody for a walk in a different place tonight.  We drove towards Durango and pulled off near a place where we hiked to an arch once or twice before.  We didn’t find the arch, but we had a fabulous time and saw some beautiful views as it got closer to sunset.  Afterwards, we stopped and sat outside with the Edgertons near their red shed and had some great conversations about James’s new job prospects, the coronavirus, and their Big-O and mobile home park sales.

Now, I am watching a FB Live video of Todd Graves back at home.  I took a break, thinking I can do it on my own for a while, and I did learn some new things on my own (see my more recent writings about what I tried on my own), but I apparently can’t stay away.  In this video, he is talking about practice, so I am finding that topic very relevant.  I go to the range, and I wonder if I am improving each time.  I have continued my goal of using my driver or my 3-wood for a successful shot and then switching to my irons, but I added more pressure.  I started with my gap wedge, and I am now saying I must have 4 out of 5 flush shots vs. 3 out of 5.  That is much more difficult for me.  I managed to get through my gap wedge, but now I am attempting to get through my pitching wedge, and I have failed every time.  I am being picky, though.

Todd is saying that we should all video our swings and try to match the model.  I am glad I am doing that part correctly.  When I do that I consistently see my head not remaining still and my right foot coming off the ground slightly at impact.  It is SO hard to stop doing those things.  Even when I concentrate on those things, I can barely do it correctly.  I will continue to work on them, though.

He also emphasizes buying their Alignment and Ball Position Trainer or ABT.  I just don’t feel like I need to get that.  I just need to get the ball in the right position, and I can do that with a measuring tape.  I can measure the five inches from my lead heel position and put the ball in perfect position every time.  I haven’t done that yet.  

He is also saying that you “build” your swing on the range, but you “use” it out on the course.  I like that idea.  I am going to watch some more to see if I can learn anything else about how to practice.

He is saying to hit a shot and then walk back, maybe choose a different club, and then pick another target and hit shot again.  He doesn’t recommend hitting ball after ball after ball and never stepping away.  It sounds very much like practice like you play, and I know from high school basketball, that perfect practice makes perfect.  Do the same routine on the range and do it to the golf course, too.

Somebody asks a question about feeling like he is standing too far away from the ball when he uses the ABT tool.  Todd said to make sure you are not going back on your heels.  He says his ankle joint, his knee joint, and his butt are pretty much in line.  He leans over the ball, and he feels his hand are below his head, but they really aren’t.  They really are pointing at his ball.  

Now, he is telling someone named Clark to go back to the fundamentals when things go awry.  I keep hearing him say to match the model.  He is beating himself over the head to get people to use video analysis and match it to either his swing or Moe’s swing.  

He does a rep routine where he is using just one club over and over again, the same club.

He also does a routine where he works through all of his clubs.  He walks in and out when he does that.  He uses all kinds of clubs when he does this kind of practice.

He pounds his driver in another kind of practice.  He feels that is the most important club.  

He uses the one club only when he is working on one certain aspect of the single plane swing.  

If he is working on his driver, it is sometimes to increase his distance.  

Use the purpose of your practice to match the kind of practice you are doing.


Written on 10-27-2020.


It’s 3:58 on a Tuesday.  Ah, a Tuesday afternoon, just like the old Moody Blues song.  It snowed for the first time this season yesterday, and we got a couple of inches.  We’ve also had freezing temperatures, which were great when I walk the dogs, because the ground remained frozen well past 11:00 today.  I say “dogs,” because Misty is visiting while the Edgertons are in Dallas visiting Becca and Matt.

I’ll write more later.  It’s 9:21 now, and I am going to bed.  


Until tomorrow…

No comments: