Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Jemez Valley Campground

Written on 5-24-21.

        Well, this is just spectacular.  We are camping in our Baker Street at the campground that I drove by many times between Jemez Springs and Jemez Valley Elementary School.  I thought, “It would be so great to camp there one day,” and here we are.

I volunteered to pick up some of the SWIVL equipment from schools that are no longer a part of our grant, so we stopped at Lybrook Elementary and Jemez Valley Elementary on our way here.  I figured we could use the CORE for a small camping trip when they offered to reimburse for mileage and meals.  I am sure they appreciate the help, though.  

We are at spot #8, and it is very near the river.  It’s a bit hot, but it will be cool and relaxing later tonight, so I am looking forward to the evening temperatures.  We are about to take Kody for an excursion before dinner, and then it will be time for our family chat.  I plan to go into Jemez Springs to get a signal, so I can talk with the family.

On to golf…


Eric got his new Callaway clubs when we practiced this past Saturday, and they are gorgeous.  I helped unwrap them in the pro shop, and it was like Christmas.  I was the younger brother who didn’t get much, but I was happy for the older brother who got what was akin to a new, sparkly bicycle.

I heard the price when he checked out at the register, and I...

wasn’t surprised.  Maybe I will get a new set in a couple of years.  I did just get a brand new pitching area and a putting green recently, so I don’t want to be greedy.  I knew his clubs would cost a lot when I looked into buying some from Graves Academy.  

We played a short game game that I came up with this time.  The little practice area with the bunker next to the range had tall grass growing all around it, and the putting surface has not been maintained well at all, so I chose to play nine holes with three stokes for par vs. two.  It was that bad.  

He led by three strokes by the fourth hole already (I got a double on hole #4), so he gave me a chance to get two back.  He said if I could hit the cage on the top of the pole on that side of the range, I would only be one stroke behind.  I hit the one on the other side of the range earlier in my single plane journey, but that one was on the opposite side, and he was saying I had to hit the top this time.  I had two opportunities, and I missed them both.

Then I lost another stroke on the next hole, so I was four strokes behind.  I got two back on the next two holes (one with a birdie on hole #6), but I lost yet another on hole #8.  I was three strokes back when we started the last hole, but I got to choose where we started, so I chose the bunker again.  I thought he might have some trouble, but he did escape pretty easily the first time we played it.  

He struggled this time, however.  It took him six shots to get out of the bunker!  Even though we were competing, I felt bad.  I got on the first shot, and I managed a bogey, but he ended with a ten, so I ended up winning by four strokes.  Phew.  Talk about a come-from-behind victory.  It’s never over until it’s over, right?

Phil Mickelson won the PGA Tournament yesterday, and he made history by being the oldest player to win a major.  That’s inspiring.  He is about to be 51.  I am just three years older than him, so I have a shot, right?  Well, at least a shot to improve if I work hard on my game, fitness, and mental focus.  

I took home a flyer for the Pinon Hills Classic.  It will be on August 21st and 22nd.  It would be great to play in it again.  I should read about the time I played when I first started out in golf.  

One more thing before I go.  It’s 7:16 now, and I have had my family chat.  B is sitting across from me outside Baker Street, and we just finished some ice cream.  The tiny propane fire pit is producing orange flames that dance about above the ash-colored lava rocks.  I have figured out something lately with my full swing that I can see myself using more and more as I go forward.  I was hoping for an epiphany, and here it is.  When I picture myself hammering the golf ball like I would if I were hammering a nail, I have had great success.  I have watched two videos that talk about this, one with Kirk Junge, and the other with Todd Graves.  The hard part for me was picturing the lead hand when you hammer with the trail hand, but somehow it squares up.

After Moe winds up, he looks like he lunges down and smacks the ball with his right arm and hand.  He goes down and then quickly back up.  I think that is the hammering motion.  I am starting to have the sing thought of “Hammer time!”

I will stick with this to see how long it lasts.  I used to have a momentum-building, free-swinging, Payne Stewart type of swing, but I am becoming more of a “hitter” with this single plane swing.  Enough for now.  Time to enjoy the scenery, my wife’s conversation, and the ambience of the Jemez Valley.


Until next time…

No comments: