Monday, September 27, 2021

Vegan Eating Brochure and a Great Driving Session

Written on 7-17-21.

        It’s been a wonderful day.  James and his new girl, Casey, came here for one night to visit with Kyle and Becca, who are here for the Edgerton reunion.  We invaded that party earlier (I know we are always welcome there, but we don’t stay long), and it was in full swing with a corn hole tournament, golf pitching, plenty of food and drink, and the same fancy port-a-potties they used for Becca’s and Matt’s wedding celebration.

Matt is super-psyched to play with Eric at Pinon Hills on Monday.  We are going out of town to go visit Danielle and then on to Grand Lake after that.  Otherwise, I would go, too.

I got caught talking with Fred, who wanted me to take home a brochure on vegan eating.  Ellen did her best to protect me, but I was fine with it.  She told Fred, “There are other things to talk about besides plants!”  

Kyle was worried, too, but more about Pawz, because she chewed up a few of the yellow foam golf balls that Eric bought for practicing pitching.  It made me laugh when Pawz jumped into their little babbling brook and “pawed” at them when they would bob up and down in the water.  Adorable.


On to golf…


I went to the range today to work on...

taking divots with my irons and to learn more about the new driver.  I was doing my best to compress the ball with my irons, and when I did manage to do that, it was heavenly.  The balls would go straight, and I got amazing distances considering I was using range balls.  

I have a hard time taking a divot on most of my iron swings, but it shouldn’t be so hard.  Set up with the single plane swing and then hit down on the golf ball.  Simple.  When I finally compressed a ball with my 8-iron, I switched over to the new driver.

It was wonderful, and I am a bit afraid to write this, but I hit it purely over and over again.  I took a picture of the face on my new driver to show where all of the impacts were, and they were centered right in the middle of the clubface.  

It felt too easy (should I be afraid to write that?), and I stopped in the middle of those swings to figure out what I was doing right.  I am not sure I know.  I did get some videos of those swings, but here is my guess before I go to sleep.  It’s 10:43 right now, and I am going to church at Holy Trinity tomorrow to be able to visit with James and Casey in the afternoon before they leave.

Here is what I think I was doing well.  I was teeing it higher, and I was setting the club farther behind the ball at address.  I kept the loft at 10º, and that worked superbly.  I was focused more on swinging through the golf ball, and not at the golf ball (always a great thing), and I was doing my best to hit it hard with proper technique.  I gave it every effort to keep my trail foot down on the forward swing, but the videos show that I wasn’t quite doing that.  It would raise up a tad, but it wasn’t bad at all.  I was also aiming my lead toe out to nearly 45º, and not the Todd Graves’ recommended 20º, and that really gave me the feeling I was bracing into the lead knee, just like he does.  

There.  Those are things I remember.  Hopefully, I can repeat them when I play again, because it felt marvelous with every swing.  I could see (just a glimpse) why Moe loved hitting balls repeatedly when that happens.


Until next time…

No comments: