Saturday, November 27, 2021

A Different Hillcrest Outing and the Final "Swope Green" Night of the Year

Written on 11-6-21.


        I am sitting in Baker Street, but it’s parked in its spot here at home.  We head to Canyonlands this Friday, though, so that’s exciting!  I just posted our pictures and videos from our trip to Wahweap and the North Rim on FaceBook and Shutterfly, and I am taking a break from that to get some writing in.  Once again, I am pressed for time, though.  Jessica is coming over at 5:30 to have dinner, so that leaves fifteen minutes to write.  I will quickly write what I want to cover, and then I will fill in the details later.


On to golf…


We had another “Swope Green” night this past week, most likely the last one of the year since daylight savings starts tonight.  Shawn and Eric came over.  It was great to have Shawn come for the first time and take a break from the construction of his workshop at his home.  We started at 4:00, because it has been getting darker earlier and earlier lately.

I played at Pinon Hills yesterday, and I ended up giving free golf tips to a couple.  Their names were Cheyenne and Steve, and it was both miserable and fun.  I will explain later.

During that round, I tried something new that worked for seven holes out of nine.  I will explain what I did later, too.

Herman (not his real name) and I spent a day at Hillcrest together, and it was super.  Normally, C.J. and Eric play there with me in the fall, and they asked me to set it up, but C.J. continued to have back/sciatica problems, and Eric forgot that Becca would be there on the day we played.  Thankfully, Herman decided to join me the day before with my late invite.  He played really well, as usual, and I played okay.  The putting threw us both off, because the greens were very fast, but it threw me off more…like off a cliff.  I triple-putted seven times!  If I had double-putted those, I would have scored a 90, and that is a closer score to my potential now.  They really had me baffled.

I have begun to take full swings off of my pitching mats for the putting green, and that is just an incredible and fun thing.  At anytime, I can just step outside and practice full swings.  I am sure to count the golf balls before I do, and I manage to get back over 95% of them.  I am only hitting 125-135 yard shots to the road (I watch for people that may be biking, walking, or 4-wheeling), and I have used my pitching wedge only, until today when I used my 9-iron instead.  We even incorporated full swings into a competition when Shawn and Eric came over.  Shawn won that one with a smooth shot that landed his ball closest to our makeshift target out there. 

No comments: