Monday, October 31, 2022

A Par on Hillcrest's 9th Hole

Also written on 9-15-22.

        I played 18 holes at Hillcrest yesterday, nine holes with C.J. and Hart, and the other nine with three strangers: Lance, Michael, and Troy.  After I played, I went to the range to hit more than a medium bucket, too.  It was more than a medium, because I scrounged a dozen or so from nearby.  

I came back happy and exhausted.  I didn’t play too well, but I played from the blues again, and that is a challenge on the back nine, and the last three holes on the front nine.  I shot a 94 or a 95.  I need to check.  My Garmin said 94, but I think I missed an extra push of the score button.  On the front, I only got one par.  On the back, I got three.  The back was better than the front, because I was tired, and it showed in my lack of concentration.

I tried something new, and it was affecting my contact.  I was making more of a turn on my backswing, and I was consciously trying to point my left shoulder at the ball.  I was thinking left shoulder down, let the club fall, and then hit it hard with my right hand that would make the essential divot.  I was gaining distance, but I was losing control.  

I played the par three #12 better, because I hit the green with my 6-iron.  I triple-putted, but I finally hit that green.


Written on 9-22-22.


I am at Newcomb Elementary today, and I am taking a break here at the end of the day to do some writing.  It was a busy day, and I am tired.  I just yawned.

I was writing about the good parts of the last round at Hillcrest.  This won’t take long then.

I wrote that I managed a par on my final hole on the front nine.  I don’t remember many pars on that hole, but I do remember the two bogeys I got there from the recent rounds.  I think bogey is a good score, especially with that tricky green, and it’s made harder playing it from the blues.  My tee shot fell short of the lone, front bunker, and I managed to pitch my ball onto the green, but it was far from the hole.  The hole was cut on the front left side of the green, so I didn’t have a lot of green to work with on my pitch.  

Lance had a putt of about the same length for birdie, so my putt would help him with a read.  I rolled mine into the hole, and he was calling it good when it was still five feet away.  He called it correctly!  It dropped in the hole, and I said something about not being able to give him a better read than that after I gathered my ball from the cup.

That’s all the time I have.  I am going to get on the road.  Next up, we play at Pagosa Springs on Saturday.  I am so looking forward to it!


Until next time…

No comments: