Friday, October 20, 2023

A's and E's New Cabin Home at Vallecito

Written on 9-2-23.

        B, Eric, Amanda, Kody, Mido, and I are up at the cabin for Labor Day weekend.  I think that’s how Mido’s name is spelled.  He is Eric’s sister’s Debbie’s dog.  I found out Mito is the correct spelling for Debbie’s dog.  It comes from the word mitochondria when Debbie was in medical school?  Hmmm.  

B has a cold, but she still went with Kody and me for his walk this morning.  It’s 1:10 now.  She gave me a haircut, too, because my hair was getting long and I remembered to bring the kit.  I thought Eric might have some work for us to do, so I didn’t shower, but when I asked, he said no.  It’s wonderful to just relax and not have something to do, but I feel a bit guilty again.  They just arrived here, but B and I got to spend last night alone.

I just moved out of our bedroom, since B came in and kicked me out.  She wanted to take a nap.  I have moved outside, and it’s just...

surreal here.  I am sitting on the metal, lightly peach-colored patio furniture that has been moved out to their lawn under the evergreen trees.  To my right, I see the chain with skinny, twirly, and reflective metal strips stretched across the entrance to the driveway to discourage people from driving onto their property to turn around.  I also see the flag pole where Eric recently added lights to shine up on the U.S. flag.  

Straight ahead I see the new cabin.  It’s been painted a pleasant blue that was decided on with a lot of input from the family.  The roof is metal, and it is worn and faded after years in the sun.  It’s weird that the house’s roof has the most fading, making it look nearly white.  Then the garage and its other rooms have less fading.  The little storage shed that is all the way to the left looks like it has a new roof, but it’s the same kind.  That one looks completely brown.

I see the fireplace that is in the dining room, and I know that Eric and Miguel did 50 hours of work to put on the river stones on the outside.  It looks marvelous and new, of course.  I know that this week they plan to extend the concrete porch area, so that people sitting outside can take in the view of the mountains.  

Clouds are coloring in the areas between the trees when I look up.  They are mostly new gym sock white, but the gray is coming.  Breezes are blowing strong enough to move the tinier hairs on my head, but it’s not strong enough to force me to go back inside.

To my right, I hear and see the river.  I don’t know the name of it, but it feeds into the Vallecito Reservoir.  *Eric told me it is called Vallecito Creek.  When they first looked at this property, the water came right up to the brim of the property, but it is ten feet below that level now.  The roar of the water is loud enough to blanket the people’s voices from the properties that surround us.  The water is clear, and I can see the river rocks below the surface.  Many of the river rocks are exposed, and we could not have seen them this past spring.

I just walked over the arts and craft sale next door.  B and I went over this morning on our walk.  I bought a $1.00 lemonade from Avery, and I met her mother, Nicole, and her father, Stuart.  I think Nicole said they were together.  Stuart said he worked for Aztec Well Service for over forty years, and he knew Kirk Carpenter, but I didn’t recognize him.

I also met Gibby and Andy.  Andy is the wife, and she is a dietician.  A and E have bought some of her pottery.  Gibby is a retired structure firefighter, and they have their other property in Mesa, Arizona.  They plan to go back to Mesa in November if the weather stays fairly nice here.  They live catty corner from A and E.


On to golf…


I couldn’t repeat my scores in the 80’s this past time, and I blew up to a 99.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, Eric shot a 99, too.  On one hole, I told him he didn’t have to play badly just to make me feel better.

We played the 1, 2, 3 game again, and I did really well on the front nine.  I was ahead 27 to 9.  I didn’t score well, though, because of two snowmen scores on #2 and #7.  

On the back, I couldn’t get anything going for the first six holes.  Eric turned it around and scored 20 points in the first five holes.  It was awful.  He had taken over the lead, and I knew I had to wake up somehow.  

Finally, I hit the fairway for my first point on the back nine on #16.  Phew!  That gave me enough confidence to do better on the final two holes.  I earned eight points on #17 due to the longest drive adding two extra points.  Then I did it again on #18.  Eric, to his credit, hit the green on #18 from the bunker, and we both earned our pars, but I had earned enough points for the victory.  I ended up winning 41 to 31, but it was a struggle.  I really want to break 85 before this season ends.

I’ve trained eight times with my Rypstick, and I just did another one last night.  My swing speed average is 95 mph now.  According to the app, that will give me an average distance of 244 yards, but I don’t always swing “all out” like I do when I train.  Either way, I know it’s better when we play from the whites.  Thankfully, Eric hasn’t suggested we move back to the blues.  

I am taking the Alto to Durango RV this Thursday, so I might go to the range at Hillcrest and try to get on.  They are only using nine holes due to sanding and aerating, so I will see if I will play or not.  I won’t play on our usual Wednesday this week, because we are meeting for the first time for the CORE at 11:00.

I am going to rest now for a bit.  Ah, the mountains are magical.

No comments: