Thursday, February 22, 2024

Eric is Back

Written on 12-14-23.

      Eric and I got out yesterday to play one more time with some decent weather, and darned if he didn’t beat me again.  It started out bitter cold with biting wind, but it steadily got better as the round went on.  By the back nine, I was taking off my jacket to hit my tee shots (not that it helped).

We played our “usual” game starting on hole #2, which became my only warm-up.  Eric went to the range, so he was good to go.  It was so cold, and I arrived later due to getting my temporary crown fixed and stopping for breakfast sandwiches.  I had a terrible front nine, and Eric dominated until holes #8 and #9 where I gained my first ties.  By the end of the front, he was leading 18 to 7.  

I thought I could catch him, however, because I was warmed up and playing.  As the weather got better, so did my play.  Could I recover enough to get the win?


Written on 12-16-23.


The first two holes, I got skunked again, and it was looking like I might repeat what happened on the front nine.  I had to start scoring big points, and he needed to help me by cooling off.  Then I did get some big points!  I scored...

17 on the next three holes, and I nearly got a birdie on #13.  I won the hole for three points on #12.  On #13, I gained more points than Eric or I did on any of the other holes.  I won the long drive for three points with the bonus, and then I hit the green with one of the best swings I have had this past year.  I was 209 yards away, and I was in the taller grass on the right side.  The lie was decent, so I chose my 21º utility club, and it took off like a firecracker heading directly towards the green and the flag.  It landed just short and rolled up to about six feet.  My birdie putt missed right, but I won the hole, so I got two more points for the green in regulation and then three more for a total of eight points!  After that hole, I was within seven points, so I had gained the momentum.

On the next hole, I won six more points, but Eric got one point for hitting the fairway, so I was now only two points down.  Yes!

Then Eric hit the green on the par three #15, so he raced ahead by seven points.  I think that hole made the difference.  I made an incredible bogey on the next hole after a terribly pulled tee shot, so I got three points back.  Eric managed another point for hitting the fairway again there.  He drove it better than I have seen him lately, to his credit.

He put the dagger in my heart (not really) by making a par on the next hole.  Now, I had to make up eight points on the last hole to just tie him.  I managed three for winning the hole, so he defeated me again by five points.  Not warming up really hurt me on this round as he was able to build his lead so much on the front nine.

I don’t like to lose, of course, but I am happy to see him playing better than he has been.  I had beaten him all summer long.

One positive is that I beat him with both points and stroke play on the back nine, so that is what I will remember.  I scored a 44 to his 45, and I beat him by six points, 23 to 17.

Hopefully, we will play again this Tuesday.  Or course, I will recount it here if I do.

No comments: