Sunday, August 22, 2010

4th Excerpt From My Golf Diary

In this excerpt, Eric and I play golf at Painted Mountain in Arizona as part of a time-share presentation deal.  I putt for an eagle for the first time, but the par five I am playing is such a short one, it's more like a long par four.  Each time I read one of these excerpts, I am struck by my enthusiasm.  I sure use a bunch of exclamation marks!  


5-25-00
   Lots to write about so here goes.  Over spring break, Eric and I played at Painted Mountain in Mesa, AZ.  We went for a time-share presentation and deal.  We listened to the speech, but both of our families said no!  The kids sure had a lot of fun playing in the pool while we were there. 
I recorded my best score ever.  After fifteen holes on a par seventy course, I had shot a seventy-five.  What helped my score the most was that I had made par on the first five out of six holes!  Par was fifty-nine on those fifteen holes, so I was sixteen over.  I was very happy!  I was set to break one hundred, something I haven’t done yet.  If we hadn’t stopped on account of darkness, I would have.  FastFeet, our kitten, is trying to eat my pencil right now, so it’s hard to write.

 

Painted Mountain-Hole 11

   It’s a par five.  I think I used my driver.  We were playing with two, much older gentlemen, Fred and some other guy.  Sometimes, the other guy would start a hole and then just sit in the cart and let Fred finish it for him.  That’s how old they were.  I don’t remember the other guy’s name, but just insert some old guy’s name and it will be close enough: Archie, Bert, whatever.  One time before teeing off, he had his pants down and was taking a leak in broad view right there on the course!  It was pretty amusing playing with them.  They must have been in their late sixties or early seventies.  Maybe older!  I’m not a great judge of age.  One time, the guy whose name I can’t remember hit a great drive on a par three onto the green.  He told Fred to go make a birdie for him, and he did! Anyway, on this hole #11, Eric thought he had out-driven me, but he was looking at one of the old guy’s golf balls.  Mine was a good fifteen yards ahead.  The big thing about this hole was that I was on the green in two!  From the white tees, it is four hundred sixty-five yards.  I was putting for an eagle for the first time.  It was a very long putt down hill, and I three-putted to end up with a par.  My second shot, though, was great.  A three iron struck so smoothly it caused Fred and his partner to stop talking and say, “That’s a fine golf shot.”
   Next time, Robby, Bob, Chris, and Josiah at Pinon Hills.  Also, my sixth birdie.  Plus, my hardest earned, illegal, and silly bogey at hole four at Civitan.  And yet one more birdie!

No comments: