Friday, January 7, 2011

Estrella del Mar

 12-23-10
   We are resting a bit before we head off the ship to Puerto Vallarta again.  We already did some shopping at a nearby flea market.  Everybody bought something.  I bought two new belts and a money clip.  Walking out of the ship, we saw a mariachi for picture opportunities, a small donkey (for the same reason), and a long sidewalk lined with various tours we could have taken.  For example, ATV tours, tequila factory tours, city and shopping tours, and jungle zip-line tours.  That’s the tour the Lamberts are taking today, the zip-line one. 
   The golf was swell, although it was tainted by the drive over.  I felt like I was a privileged, wealthy snob.  It was a most uncomfortable feeling since I am not that way at all.  I am a humble teacher, a servant really.  It’s not my style to be catered to or to be in such posh surroundings.  This whole vacation I’ve had to convince myself that we deserve this, that I deserve this.  It has not been easy.  
   When I played hole #13, some boys, maybe 13 or 15 years old, were trying to sell me some golf balls.  I had to say no.  We (our three families) all learned to say no over and over again, "No thank you. No gracias.  No, no thank you."
   “Pro-V,” they would say!   
   I didn’t want any golf balls.  I have plenty.  My first shot went out of bounds, a bad hook, and the boy near the green found it and gave it back to me.  I thanked him because I had a small thought that he might ask for money for my own ball. He didn’t.  He then applauded when I got my fourth shot close, and then once more when I finished the hole, so I nodded and touched the bill of my hat.  I asked him, although it was pretty obvious that he did not speak English, if he had ever been struck by a golf ball.  I motioned with my arm to mime it out for him.  He shook his head.  He asked me again if I wanted to buy some golf balls, but when I said no this time, he said, as I was walking away, “Money for food?” 
   He did not smile.  I felt a pang of guilt.  I told him I had no pesos, but I really meant I did not have any pesos, not that I didn’t have any money.  I think he thought I meant I had no cash at all.  Either way, our brief encounter ended at that point and the awkward silence caused me to walk away.  What else could I say at that point?  I felt bad, but for all I know he could be a "minor" scam artist.  Or maybe not.
 

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I relate to your feeling like the "rich guy" in the picture. 2 years in the Peace Corps did me in--I am a lousy tourista.

I guess being a teacher does a similar thing--we're not out there to out-snob anyone, are we? I guess PC and teaching gives me a double whammy.