Monday, January 31, 2011

My Conversation with Toby-Last Entry of 2010

    Speaking with Toby after my round was nice.  He did not own a dog like the starter at the beginning of my round.  He was very pleasant and full of information.  I wanted to find out the English translation for Estrella del Mar, and this is it: The Star of the Sea.  Estrella meaning star, of course, and Mar meaning sea.  Good name.  Very fitting.
   He also told me he likes..
the people in Mexico.  He said often that they are hardworking, good people, and they deserve their siestas.  Some ride their bicycles to town for two hours to arrive at 7:00 AM.  They then work five to six hard long hours in factories and after lunch, they collapse dead away from exhaustion. 
   He was from Baltimore, and he used to work for Sears in accounting.  He and his wife bought a place near the course with approximately 3,000 square feet for around $600,000.00.  He does not want to travel anymore, so if his family wants to come see them, they have to visit them there.  He has had two complete knee replacements; I could see the scars on his tan legs underneath his scraggly white hairs.  He also had a heart problem, but the heart doctor there in Mexico is so accommodating he gave him his personal cell phone number if he ever had any problems or needed any help.
   When I told him about the kids selling the golf balls along hole #13 and #14, though, he said with his lips nearly closed and a slight smile, “Li’l bastards.” 
   I told him it didn’t bother me.  He was very nice.  We talked like we had known each other for a long time, and when I saw our shuttle coming back, I asked him his name (Toby), shook his hand and left. It’s getting close to group photo time, so I am stopping for now.

No comments: