Saturday, October 29, 2011

Volleyball and Marbles

10-25-11 
    
    We had our best match of the season (in my opinion) against a team that the girls said they really do not like, a team that they kept reminding me when they played against them it was “personal.”  We had lost to this team twice already this season, once in the varsity tournament that our two JV teams were allowed to play in.  The other team got to play in it since it was their varsity tournament, and we got to play since a varsity team from Colorado had dropped out. We beat a varsity team in pool play there (we split and won by one point), but Anna and I both agreed to let JV play in the lower/silver bracket since we might end up playing against our own varsity.  It turned out we played our "little rival" JV team in that bracket, and we lost.  Then we lost to them again on our home court when my mom and dad came to watch.  Aaarghh!
    When we played them the last time, though, ah, it was sweet.  The girls played well, they played together, and they got the job done.  All season they steadily improved.  Becca even set one on her knees at one point and that resulted in a kill.  Danielle was her usual consistent back row self, completely dependable and unwavering in her play.  I realized how badly we wanted to win by how much we celebrated when it was over.  I jumped off the bench like a giddy girl myself!  That is what someone told me, anyway.  I don’t care.  Winning that match was a sure sign of improvement.  I was so proud.  I still am.
    I told the girls early on in the season, soon after we had beaten that varsity team in pool play, that winning against a team like that is like “a marble in the bus.”  That comes from my classroom.  We have a tin school bus that students put marbles in for good behavior.  I’ve had those marbles since I first started teaching.  It hasn’t always been a bus, though; I’ve used mugs, glass vases, and other containers before.  When a marble goes in the bus for a student’s good behavior, it gets to stay in the bus.  It does not come out until the prize for the entire class is won.  Then I empty out the bus and we start over, but not until it’s completely filled.  Winning that match was definitely a “marble in the bus.”  Nobody can take that away from us.

No comments: