Monday, October 24, 2011

Choices, Sacrifices, and Priorities-Enough to Hurt My Brain Again?

From the end of my last post a little more than a month ago...

Until next time...

    We do have a BWP Leadership Team meeting this Saturday.  It will be my first involvement in Bisti since the surgery.  I will give details after it is over.

10-23-11

    Okay, I read the end of that last entry, and it reminded me that I did not make it to that meeting.  I chose not to go.  I was on my way, driving through my neighborhood when I just stopped and called Vicki.  My weekend was just starting, and I was overloaded with stress.  My parents were coming to visit and watch a Tuesday volleyball match, the vehicles were not lubed (something my dad is guaranteed to make a comment on), the house was not clean, the yard needed work, we had winterizing to do, and the two or three hours of schoolwork that Belinda and I always go in for was not going anywhere either.  I was swamped and something had to give.  Vicki was very understanding. 
    I am no longer the tech liaison for the Bisti Writing Project; Melissa is filling in until further notice, and it’s a relief.  I don’t remember who I was talking to, but I said I only have enough energy for full-time teaching and coaching volleyball right now, and sometimes not even enough for both of those.  Anything above and beyond might cause some new swelling in my brain.  Okay, not really, but it feels like it might.
    I am not regretting this decision to coach volleyball again, though.  It has been tough on me, but when I look back on this time years from now, I will be happy to say that I got to coach my daughter and my niece.  Sadly, it’s almost over.  This Thursday is the last match for JV.  It has been all of these things: miserable, fun, stressful, exciting, challenging, exhausting, and great.  The girls learned and improved.  What more could a coach ask for?
    It was a sacrifice, though.  I did not play nearly as much golf as I normally would.  I was going to play yesterday after parent-teacher conferences, but we had practice at 2:30, so I ended up not playing at all this weekend.  That’s a good thing, though, because I am using some of the time to catch up on my writing.  I am also not as involved in the Bisti Writing Project as I was before the surgery.  At least I continue to write.

Until next time...

No comments: