Thursday, February 16, 2012

How C.J. Won, Durango Guys, and Seeing Troy Again

Also written on 2-3-12

    This also came down to the last hole.  He suggested Match Play.  That sounded fine to me; the course is not conducive to low scores right now.  It was softer and more forgiving after all of the melted snow from this morning. The other rounds we’ve played have been tougher with all the slick greens and the frozen teeing grounds.  The weather was fine today, except for the snow everywhere this morning.  On just about every other hole, we were commenting on how nice it was.
    We were all square with only hole #9 left to play. We did use our handicaps for all of these games, giving pops accordingly.  That helped C.J. on the tougher holes.  I blew it again on #9, though.  My tee shot went...
low and left, heading for the ditch once more.  We never found it.  I ended up with a 7.  C.J. was on the green in three, but he triple-putted for a bogey.  I had a long putt to tie, but it was too firm.  Good job, C.J.  Thanks for coming out to join me.  If C.J. had not shown up, I would have been the only one on the golf course. 
    The only other bit of golf news is that I played with two guys from Durango one day last month, Bob and Joe (not their real names) for nine holes.  Many Durango players come to Hidden Valley since the weather is better and we have less or no snow.  Bruce and C.J. had played earlier, so these two guys let me join them.  They were nice enough.  Bob was the better player.  They were playing from the blues, so that kept me alert for these nine holes; I was not used to teeing off from there. 
    Bob is a chiropractor.  He said golf is great for his profession.  Get it?  Joe had just started to play golf again.  He is a judge.  On hole #5, Dean, the pawn shop guy, caught up with us and played the rest of the way in making it a foursome.  He earned a birdie on the last hole.
    Troy called me tonight.  His son is playing basketball tomorrow at Durango High School.  I was going to play golf at 11:00 with Bruce and C.J., probably for eighteen holes.  I just called them both to see if they would play at 10:00 instead.  C.J. said it was fine, and I left a message for Bruce.  It’s going to be cold, but I will only stay for nine holes now. 
    I remembered Troy had told me his son was going to play this weekend as soon as he told me about it again tonight.  He first told me about it when I had called on the way to Montrose for the Delta trip, but I had already forgotten.  I am glad he called again to let me know; it will be great to see him again.  I just wish we could play golf together again, too.

No comments: