Friday, February 17, 2012

The Masters and the Super Bowl

    In some other golf news, Guy found tickets for my flight to Atlanta, GA.  He got a great price, $260.00 round trip.  I have not written about this yet, but it is probably the biggest golf news of this year so far.  He and I are going to the Masters in April!  I wish I was going tomorrow.  Of course, I will be writing all about it.  The reason he can get tickets is because of Annmarie and her business connections.  Thank you, Annmarie.  Guy has gone before with his father-in-law.  It will be the golf trip of a lifetime.
    Okay, I feel pretty caught up now.  I hope I win tomorrow.  I need a victory.

Until next time...

2-11-12
    Finally, a victory.  I won last weekend, Super Bowl weekend.  I chose the game this time, a football style game and this is how it worked...
  It was just an okay game.  I would tweak it next time. 
    If a player earned a par, it was a touchdown.  On the next hole, an extra point would be added only if the player/s who scored could be the closest to the pin on a par three, or the longest drive in the fairway on a par four or five.  Bogeys were worth three points like field goals.  Double bogeys were worth two points like a safety.  That is the part I would change.  Getting two points with a double bogey was too much; it was almost like getting a field goal.  We also chose to throw in pops.  C.J. Had three, and I got two.  Bruce got none.  I thought C.J. should get four, but then I remembered to never underestimate C.J.
    We also said a birdie would be worth ten points.  Bruce said it would be like getting a touchdown and then forcing a turnover and earning a field goal or vice-versa.  An eagle would be worth fourteen points.  Nobody scored either of those, though. 
    I earned the first touchdown on hole #11.  We played the back nine only.  It was kind of cold.  I scored another touchdown on hole #14.  The conditions were not nice, so scoring pars/touchdowns was difficult, which is the way it should be.  C.J. earned his first touchdown on hole #16.  Then Bruce got on the board with his first touchdown on hole #17.  He was not scoring well for Bruce.  He was swinging his clubs just fine, just not getting good results.  For example, his tee shot on #16 pulled left just enough to bounce off the cart path twice in a row.  He ended up with a double after that.
    When I added up the score on the teeing ground on the last hole, it was 24, 24, 22.  Bruce and I were tied, and C.J. was right there.  It was anybody’s game.  Bruce mentioned after his par on #17 that it was “Tebow Time.”  We chuckled, but I swallowed.  I had not been able to win on the last hole yet this year.  I don’t know that I deserved this one either, but I’ll take it.  I got a seven, but with a pop it became a six, a bogey.  C.J. had some trouble, so he got an eight, which adjusted to a seven with his pop.  Bruce, with no pops at all, scored a seven like me.  The pop helped me win.
    It was an ugly seven, too.  My tee shot was in the ditch.  Terry joined us on the hole.  I have written about him before.  We played together in the Club Championship.  He thought my drive would end up in the ditch; he was right.  I dropped, swung my 6-iron and got my ball short of the green on the right side, just behind a fir tree.  I tried my putter to get it to roll under the tree (the tree was a good 30 feet away), but my ball hit the trunk close to the center and bounced away about ten feet.  I couldn’t believe it, but  I putted again to attempt going under a second time.  This time my ball scooted under the tree on the right side, stopping about five feet from the hole on the left side.  I made that tricky left-to-righter for my seven.  Phew!  It was enough.  I had won 27 to 24 to 22.

No comments: