Friday, September 6, 2013

Low Scores and Five New Birdies

Written on 8-3-13.   

    I have five birdies to report!  All in just the past few days, too.  Before I do, though, I want to mention the great play of Bruce and Reilly.  C.J. had left a message on my voicemail, and I haven’t gotten to it until now, so here it is.  First, he wanted to know how my back was, because this was soon after my back injury.  Then he told me the scores of Bruce and Reilly in a recent round.  Bruce shot a 69, breaking par...again!  This time, he did it with another eagle on #18.  He pitched it, he explained to me later when just he and I were playing, from the left side from behind the tree.  He did not see it go in, but he knew it must have dropped because C.J. was going crazy, hootin’ and hollerin.’  Bruce likes to make eagles, and he is getting especially adept at doing it on hole #18, a great hole to get eagles.  During that same round, Reilly shot a 39 on the front, definitely his best nine hole score ever, and he finished with an 87, which I am pretty sure is his best eighteen hole score, too.  Way to go, Bruce and Reilly!  I want to break par and shoot a new low score, too.
    Okay, now for my five most recent birdies...



Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #24 (the mosquito birdie) of 2013

    I played in the Taco Tuesday thing.  My plan was to just go and play alone, but I told Tom that I would play if he needed another player, and I got my chance when the numbers ended up uneven.  I played with Dan and Andre (not their real names).  We tied for last place at -2.  We had a chance to be at three under, but a bogey on #4 prevented that.  The winning team was at -8 after nine holes.  Yes, -8 after nine.  Really?!  I would have liked to have seen that.
    After it was over, I played #1, #2, and #3 at dusk.  What a mistake!  The mosquitoes are out in full force.  They are the worst I’ve ever seen.  In fact, I haven’t even noticed mosquitoes until this season at Hidden Valley.  The pro shop bought over a dozen cans of Off! and other sprays to help anyone who goes out to play there. 
    It is so bad that everyone’s routine is hurried, including mine.  I earned this birdie by using my driver first, and then I quickly wiped mosquitoes off the backs of my legs.  Then I quickly used my 5-iron and wiped off some more.  Then I pitched on with my wedge to a hole that was on the top right side, stepped out as fast as I could and wiped yet again. 
    To make it even more painful and ridiculous, I was playing two balls to get some practice in.  I made my par putt with the first ball from the other side of the hole, and then I finished up my birdie putt without marking it (that’s how bad the mosquitoes were), and wiped off dead mosquitoes and blood one final time on this hole.  Gross!  Glad I was at least able to earn a birdie out of all that misery.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #5-Birdie #25 of 2013

    I was playing alone.  C.J. had already played that morning when I was at open gym.  I don’t know where Bruce was, but I think he was out of town.  I had a decent start; after four holes, I was +2.  I was charting my round, but I had not challenged myself to any game.  I always want to break 40 on both nines now, though.
    My drive landed on the left side of the fairway, right next to the line that separates the fairway and the slightly taller grass.  I chose to go for it, mostly because my full swing has been consistent as of late.  My utility club slung my ball up to the left side of the green behind the hill over there; it was just short of the hole that was on the middle on the left side this time.  My little pitch was the best shot.  My ball followed the curve of the hill and landed on the green just below the hole.  I only had three feet left for my putt.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #9-Birdie #26 of 2013

    By the time I had reached this hole, I was +2 again.  I met up with one of Aztec’s elected officials and his wife on hole #4, but it wasn’t until after #6 that I went ahead and asked them to go ahead and join me; play was slow.  He was not keeping a serious score, but I was doing well.  I had just gotten a par on #7 with a nifty chip shot and another par on #8 with a punch shot 7-iron approach.  Although I don’t like to be aware of my score, I did know where I was.
    My 3-wood got the call for the tee shot.  It looked like it might have ended up out of bounds as it sailed over the trees heading for #12’s teeing ground.  I played a provisional.  That shot headed towards the ditch, and I never did find it.  Thankfully, I didn’t need to; I found my first one.  It was right on the corner with a clear shot to the green.  Tom was giving a lesson to a college student on #12.  She came over to talk to the city official’s wife/cart babe.  I went for the green in two with my utility club.  It was risky.  I was aware of the out of bounds, but I was forcing any thought of it out of my head.  This was the best swing on this hole, for sure.  My ball sailed over the trees and landed on the green on the front right side.  Unfortunately, the flag was on the back left side.  With the slope, I barely got my first putt to stop below the hole and stay on the green.  It was just on.  I had sixteen feet or so left.  It was an uphill putt with a slight break to the right.  After it went in, I gave out a little, “Yes!”
    I had just shot a 38 on the front nine, just one over and one of my best scores ever.

Written on 8-4-13.

    We are driving back to Aztec now.  Danni-Girl is in the driver’s seat, and we just plowed through an exciting flash flood type storm complete with lightning strikes and the real possibility of hydroplaning outside of Bernalillo.  Danielle did an excellent job, though, navigating through it all.      

    James is all set up as a C.A. in his new apartment at Vista Del Monte for his sophomore year at NMSU.  We helped him by shopping for groceries and bathroom and kitchen essentials, such as a small bathroom trashcan and a bath mat, a cooking pot and a cookie sheet, and other small necessary things like hangers and ice cube trays.  We even bought a plant for him (it’s really a shrub, but he didn’t care).  B, Danielle, and I helped him organize every room.  I got his new printer going while Danielle worked in his kitchen.  B worked on clothes and general unpacking and organizing while James supervised and set up various stuff, too.
    Although we felt good knowing he was all set up, Belinda and I were not able to stop the tears when it came time to say goodbye.  I even saw James wiping some tears from his eyes as we drove off.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #14-Birdie #27 of 2013


    C.J., Bruce, and I played the back nine for me.  I wanted to back up my +1 round on the front nine with an equally stellar score on the back, and they understood that.  Bruce wanted to do the Stableford game we had played before, so we did.  This hole helped my cause considerably.
    Remember the drive that won the longest drive during that golf tournament?  I don’t remember the tournament, but I do remember the drive.  I think it was the Robbie Ward Tournament.  Anyway, this drive was longer, and it was also the longest drive I have ever had on this hole...ever.  On this easy hole par five, I was only 110 yards away.  That means my drive was 374 yards?  From the white tees, this hole is 484 yards according to the scorecard, so that’s right.  To quote Han Solo, “You know sometimes I amaze even myself.”
    I chose my A wedge for the approach.  My goal was to get the ball to land up on the top and then roll down to the bottom.  It didn’t work.  C.J. has jokingly said lately that the new rule is if it’s on the top, the ball will roll down to the bottom, but if it’s in the bottom, it’ll stay up on the top.  So, that’s what happened.  My putt was good; it rolled to the top, slowed, turned right, and rolled down into the “toilet” stopping a couple of feet behind the hole.  I made the birdie putt and scored some big points for the birdie and the win.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #18-Birdie #28 of 2013

    Before we got to this hole, the points were as follows: Pat, 18, C.J., 16, and Bruce, 12.  My drive was another one of those drives that was meant for #3, but ended up on #18.  It ended up in a great place on #18, right on the left side with a clear view of the green, but it was not where I was aiming.
    I thought the 7-iron would be perfect for hitting the green and putting my ball near the hole on the back left side, but it barely landed on the front in the middle.  A few feet shorter and it would have rolled back down the hill. 
    I put my long eagle putt within tap-in range for the birdie.  Bruce finished with a birdie, too, so the final scores were Bruce, 17, C.J., 19, and Pat, 23.  I totally loused up the scores when I first added them in the parking lot.  I had accidentally given Bruce the six points that C.J. had actually earned on #17 for his par and his win.  Why these guys trust me to keep score is beyond me.

    That’s it for now.  We are almost home.  Belinda and I have one last day of summer freedom tomorrow, so I am going to Riverview for one last round before school begins again; teachers report on Tuesday.

Until next time...

No comments: