Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Start of Volleyball, One Birdie, and a Second Eagle

Written on 8-29-13.

    I am on a bus headed towards Belen.  I am with the varsity team, helping out as an assistant.  Last year, I chose not to go because of my JV team, but with Danielle and Becca as seniors this year, there’s noooo way I am missing out this time. 
    We just shopped at the Cottonwood Mall and had dinner at the Red Robin.  I am so excited for this season and for this group of young ladies.  We have a fantastic team that has learned from all of their experiences last year, including being on the wrong side of many losses.  They did, however, pull off the upset of upsets at Kirtland during the District Tournament near the end of the season, repeating what the team from the previous season had done.
    

    On to golf...

    I have little to report, but what I have is mighty, too.  I have...

a new birdie and a new eagle!  The birdie came when we could barely score bogeys at Riverview, and the eagle happened when I played...well, the last time I played after school had begun.  I might get to play again this weekend since it’s Labor Day weekend.  I hope so.

Riverview Golf Course-Hole #10-Birdie #29 of 2013

    It was a sad day for golf.  I ended up winning the game we had chosen for that day, and this helped.  We were playing Escalating Skins with all the bonuses, and I was with C.J. and Norm.  I visualized playing every hole the night before, and it was an incredible score... In my mind.  Everything went right.  That did not match the reality of the next day, however.  I bogeyed #1, and then I hit a shot out of bounds long on #2 and scrambled to save a double.  After that, it didn't get much better.
    This hole, however, matched the visualizations of the night before.  My drive missed the fairway, but it was long.  I had only 110 yards left with some uphill, so I chose my pitching wedge, and it was the perfect swing with the perfect club.  The ball was slightly below my feet again, so I just kept that spine angle the same like I’ve done before, and the ball went directly at the flag.  I knew it was good, but it was more than good; it was less than a foot from the hole on the right side and just slightly below.  While Norm was struggling to finish, I chose to go tap in.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #14-Eagle #2 of 2013

    Ah, yes!  The sweet, rare eagle.  Figures it’s on this hole, but I’ll take it.  Like Gary Eagle said before, it still takes at least two or three great shots.  This drive was not as far as the last time, but I do remember it hit the top of one of the trees above the alley, and then it rolled out to the fairway like an obedient golf ball.  Once again, the flag was in the bottom, so my ball stayed stubbornly up on the top.  I was looking at the same putt I had when I earned my last birdie here.  I even told myself before taking my stance, “All right, I know what to do, I just need to do it.”
    C.J. will agree.  This putt was extra fun to watch.  It slowed at the top again, picked up speed going in, headed to the opposite side and banked to the right like a jet, straightened out, and then headed right towards the hole.  It was probably a thirty foot putt on a straight line, but it took probably double that amount on its actual journey there.

No comments: