Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Ray Torres Fundraiser Tournament-Part 2

Written on 9-18-14.

    It’s commercial time for The Biggest Loser, one of my favorite shows.  The farewell season of our family’s favorite show, Parenthood, begins next Thursday.  Speaking of family, we are going to visit our children for the first time this school year next Friday.  We are all so excited to be reunited.  I am betting that next week will crawl along like the caterpillar that was found on one of the coat hooks in my classroom this afternoon.  So excited to see them.  Can’t wait.
    

Back to the golf…

#8-I had the longest drive, a gutsy one considering everyone else had fared poorly.  It was long and up the left side, and it ended up just past the ditch where it curves away towards the pro shop.  Damon had the better pitch onto the green, but mine was a close second choice.  Ron backed up his previous birdie putt with a downhill putt that leveled out at the hole.  Three under.

#9-My drive was fine, but Dan hit a low shot that bore over the teeing area on #12.  I felt certain it wouldn’t make it past the o.b., but it did without a problem.  Ron called the pro shop for a proper ruling on whether we could take it out of that rough area and drop farther back.  He said we...

could, so we dropped it on the grass close to 145 yards away.  We still had the trees to go over, and this is where I took over.  My 8-iron flew my ball over the trees where it landed on the green to the right of the hole that was on the middle of the left side.  We had an eagle putt forthcoming.
    Damon putted first most of the time, so that was the first read.  Ron gave me a read next.  I went third, and I chose a path between the two.  My ball went up to the right, slowed, turned left and headed towards the hole where it fell in on the top right side.  That was our first eagle of the day.  Five under!

#10-We all missed the green.  Damon’s tee shot gave us the best pitch/chip from past the green on the right side.  We had some green to work with from there.  Dan had the closest chip, and he followed that up with a closing putt.  Five under still.

#11-My drive was just behind the bunker in the fairway.  My pitch ended up being slightly better than Ron’s, but we were both off the back of the green, but at least everyone could putt from there.  Once again, it was so difficult for all of us to get our putts close to the hole, especially with this fuzzier, newer green.  Mine was the last, and I managed to whack it far enough to get close enough to garner another par.  Still five under.

#12-This was Damon’s hole for the first two shots.  His tee shot was straight, but it was just short of the green.  He had the best pitch, and Ron came to our rescue with some more excellent putting.  The hole was up front.  We had made it through the “witches” without a bogey, but we also did not earn a birdie.

#13-Dan had the drive we used, just barely past the dirt in the wash area.  We had two swell pitches from down there, but we chose the one that left us a more uphill and direct putt.  After three missed birdie attempts, I was up.  I had a great sense for it, though, similar to the one on #9, so I rolled it right in.  Six under.

#14-Every shot, except the final tap-in putt, was mine for this hole.  I believe I love this hole.  My drive was on the right side, just off of the fairway.  My 5-iron approach put my ball just to the right of the green.  As the others were chipping to the hole that was also on the top right side, I ran up to trade in my sand wedge for my A-wedge.  My chip landed just on the fringe, bounced onto the green and started to roll towards the hole.  It really looked like it was going to go in, but it lipped out and stopped just behind the hole.  Ron finished it off.  Seven under now.

    I am going to pause and get ready for bed now.  The Biggest Loser is over.  I am tired after having worked out four times this week and having an early meeting with our superintendent on Wednesday morning.  When I write again, I’ll conclude with the rest of the holes and the final results. 

Until next time…

No comments: