Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ray Torres Fundraiser Tournament-Part 1

Written last night.

    It’s harder to find time to write during the school year.  I do everything I can to be the best and most professional teacher I can be, so that takes time away from my personal writing.  Because of that, I’m going to get “write” to the golf this time.
    When I earned that birdie on hole #6 and went on that birdie, par, par, par run that ended up being the difference in the match with C.J. and I against Bruce and Reilly, it was mostly with thanks to Bruce, although he didn’t know it. 
    He had graciously kept one of my inappropriately titled golf balls in his bag after finding it on the course weeks earlier.  I believe it was that ball that...

made the difference.  Mentally, I somehow play better with those golf balls.  It might not be causal, but as soon as I got that ball back and started playing with it, my game turned around.  All of the other ones I’d had were gone.  I think I will hang up those Nike Black Vapor balls, even though I am sure I can play just as well with those.  It's a silly mental thing.
    I just received my shipment of my new golf balls last week, the ones with the goofy name, the ones that gave me my best golf score ever for 18 holes, a 74.  I played with them this past weekend, but I didn’t play so well, at least not as well as I had when Bruce returned my lost baby, but it was more because I hadn’t played in a long time, not because of the golf balls.
    In other big golf news, my team and I took 2nd place at the fundraiser tournament for Ray Torres.  He’s the hometown golf hero from the First Tee program, the only player who will be representing not only New Mexico at the upcoming First Tee tournament at none other than Pebble Beach next month, but also our very own Hidden Valley Golf Course.  This was a tournament I didn’t want to miss; it was too important.  My regular golf team buddies were either out of town or busy, so I asked Tom to put me on a team.
    Well, thank you Tom for putting together one heckuva team.  I played with Damon (last name), father of a student I taught years ago, a student who is now in seventh grade.  Damon is around a 13 just like me.  He brought along his business friend Dan, a younger fellow visiting from Texas who has a 3-year old son.  He could really drive it a long way, and his drives, although not always consistent, helped set us up for many of our eagles and birdies.  Finally, we played with Ron, grandfather of another student I taught, but more recently.  His grandson is now in fourth grade.  Ron had some exceptional putting to help us get reads, and he made some huge putts, too.
    This tournament went so well for us, I will go with the hole by hole description.

#3-We used Dan’s drive that flew over the ditch.   Damon had the best pitch.  We all failed at the birdie putt from above the hole.  Even.

#4-Damon had the best tee shot, but it was just off on the right side.  After everyone left their putts short to the hole that was down on the bottom left side, I managed to get mine farther and close enough for another par.  Still even.

#5-Dan had a huge drive up the left side.  Damon had an approach that put us into pitching range.  Dan pitched one to a foot away.  I did not help out at all, except being a supportive team member.  One under.

#6-We had three tee shots on the green, and they were all lined up.  None were very close, and mine was the farthest.  Ron made the putt that got the closest, but no birdie.  One under.

#7-My drive flew longer than Dan’s, and that was a surprise to me.  Damon’s approach was closest to the green, but Ron and I stayed by his golf ball out on the fairway to see if Damon had a shot.  He didn’t.  Ron made the approach that was the closest (right of the hole that was on the front left side), and then he followed that up with the birdie putt.  Two under.

More later… I am going to sleep.

No comments: