Sunday, August 31, 2014

In the Aftermath of the Soaked Laptop

8-30-14

    Belinda and I are at the cabin again.  It’s just the two of us now, but Dale and Anna are on their way here and will arrive any minute.  We did get it all to ourselves last night and for most of today, though, and we are thrilled that they are coming.  It’s Labor Day weekend, so we have a small respite from the stress of school, and what a hectic beginning it has been for what will likely be our last year teaching since we will probably retire after 25 years of service each.
    My Golf Diaries are...

a mess right now.  I am so frustrated, but it is what it is.  It’s all because I left our previous laptop out on our back patio on the one day it rained, and not just a little rain, but buckets full.  When I tipped the laptop sideways, water poured out of the CD/DVD drive.  Thankfully, I backed up all of the journals on iCloud all the way up to this one, Golf Diary-Part 12 through January.  After that, it had not been backed up in the “cloud,” though.  Now I need to go to my blog and copy and paste all the posts from February to the present to get it all caught up again, and in my mind, all together again.
    I am mostly certain three birdies did not get recorded yet, so I am going to record them now, and then there’s the entire lost section of my official birdie and eagle count that was washed away, too.  116 brief descriptions all numbered and counted…gone.  Two eagles gone.  I do have one chance that they will be returned, however.  Connecting Point is shipping out our hard drive to a company called DriveSavers.  With their 90% success rate, we have a chance, an expensive one, but a chance nonetheless.  We shall see.

Here are the three “missing” birdie descriptions…

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #16-Birdie #24 of 2014    

    I was playing alone.  I was playing from the blues again.  I chose my 8-iron again.  It was another sweet swing and it covered the flag most of the way.  I thought again, with high hopes, that I might have gotten my first ace, but it was just left and ever so slightly short.  On the scorecard, I wrote that it was just two paces away.  I had birdied this hole in a nearly identical fashion the round just before this one.  That time, it was even closer and just to the right, and I had written that I accidentally peeked at the putt, but it was such a close putt that it didn’t matter.  This putt was far enough away that I was able to keep my head down the entire time.  I only heard this one go in.

Reston National Golf Course-Hole #5-Birdie #25 of 2014

    Guy and I played twice when I visited him in Virginia, once at Reston National, a full 18 holes, and once at Goose Creek Golf Club, just nine holes.  Reston was the first course we played, and it’s the course that hosts the Nike Golf Camp that ShyShay attends.  We played with two guys who knew each other through work.  They were very pleasant to play and converse with, and they were near us in ability, one closer to mine and the other closer to Guy’s, but Guy was better than him. 
    I didn’t play well, earning only a couple of pars and a few bogeys compared to some higher scores, but I sure played well on this hole.  It was a dog-leg right par five with a creek right where a lay-up would be a sweet option.  My drive was long (for Virginia air), and it faded eventually ending up just a foot off of the fairway.  My lay-up made me gasp, barely landing past the ditch and the bridge and rolling out to the fairway. 
    Guy had a hilarious shot after that.  He was near the bridge and the ditch.  He shank-pulled one low where it caromed off the bridge and stopped out on the fairway.  We both laughed, but I laughed a bit more.
    I chose my A-wedge for my approach.  It was uphill, but the flag was on the front, so that weighed in on the club choice.  It landed near the right side of the green, maybe on or off, I’m not sure, and it hopped towards the hole.  I thought it would be close, and it was.  It was a mere tap-in from above the hole and behind it.  I asked everyone if I could finish and they graciously allowed it.

Okay, one more.

Hidden Valley Golf Course-Hole #6-Birdie #26 of 2014

    I had just shanked two shots on the previous hole, so I was amazed and happy that I made better contact on this hole with my 8-iron.  C.J. and I ended up being two down after that hole.
    On this hole, however, we got one back with this birdie.  The putt was slightly uphill to a hole that was over on the left side.  The greens were a little fuzzy, so I picked a spot six to eight inches past the hole on the right side.  I kept my head down again, not peeking at all, but after a while I chose to look up.  I caught it just in time as it barely fell in on the bottom left side of the hole.

No comments: