Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A Tiny Snake and a 38

7-12-15

    We’re back home on a Sunday.  We arrived yesterday at around 6:00, and we were able to do a FaceTime chat with James for an hour until it was bedtime, about 10:30.  I am watching the U.S. Open, but it’s the Women’s this time.  We are headed for an exciting finish with Chun, Yang, and Lewis.  Park just finished 18 at 5 under, and it’s her birthday, too. 
    Pika is purring beside me on our bed.  Belinda and I just encouraged a tiny snake to leave our house.  Yes, a tiny snake, a foot long or so.  It was adorable…for a snake.  The little thing went under...

our loveseat first.  We didn't see it after we popped up the leg rests, so we looked under our recliner.  That’s when B saw it for the first time.  It wiggled its way out of the leg rest there and headed back toward the kitchen.  We mistakenly opened the screen door, thinking it would want help going outside, but it went under the house instead, where the grout is missing along our sliding glass door.  Now, that’s something that we have never seen in our house before.  I’m a little creeped out.  I hope we don’t see it again, or one of its friends, even though it was small and harmless.

On to golf…

    I shot one of my best nine hole scores ever… again.  I played 18 holes on Wednesday, the day before we left.  I shot a 38.  On the last hole I tricked myself into believing I was shooting for my first ever round of even par, but when it was all over I realized I had miscounted my bogeys.  I had three bogeys and two birdies instead of two bogeys and two birdies.  Maybe next time.  What follows are the two birdies that helped me get so close to par.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #5-Birdie #19 of 2015

    My round was just okay at this point.  I had gotten bogeys on #1, #3, and #4 already, but those were the last of the ugly bogeys for this round.  This was the second drive on this hole that actually went to the right side of the fairway instead of my usual bailout area (the fairway on hole #1).  This tee shot, like the one before it on this hole, nicked the branches on the cottonwood farther up on that side.  My lie was in the rough, but it was sitting up and ready for swing #2. 
    A twosome was playing ahead of me, and they really slowed down my play.  When they were on #4, they were playing music.  It felt more like a beach than a golf course.  They were also playing from the blues, but they shouldn’t have been.  I watched them tee off on some of the holes, and they were not experienced players.  In reality, I should have been playing from the blues, and they should have been playing from the whites…or the reds.
    They were teeing off on #6 when I made my approach.  I used Bruce’s former utility club, and it worked out okay.  It continued my path up the right side of this hole, and I was fortunate that my ball stopped on the hill without rolling out onto the cart path.  I used my body turning pitching motion, and it was weak.  The ball made it onto the green, but not nearly far enough to get close to the hole.  The hole was on the middle near the left side, and my upcoming putt was 30 feet long with about nine feet of break to the left.  As it got closer, and after I looked up, I thought it was looking good.  It continued to get closer and closer, so I continued to be more optimistic, and then it fell in.  With the new book I am reading, I know I gained a stroke with that putt.  It was a long putt!

No comments: