Tuesday, August 11, 2015

My Dad the Chauffeur and My First Eagle of the Year

Also written on 7-21-15.
My Dad, the Chauffeur, at Fox Meadows
     On Friday morning, dad and I went to Fox Meadows in Lakewood, so I could play nine holes, and he could hang with me and be my chauffeur.  I played the course titled The Links, and it was gorgeous.  It had no homes, and it was links style golf, matching its name well.  It went uphill and to the west towards Red Rocks and Bandimere Speedway.  Then it meandered slowly back downhill after hole #7.  The teeing ground on hole #7 had the best panoramic view of the entire course and area.  Beautiful!  The players in front of us, a couple, were slow, but every time we caught up or had to wait, I was thankful because it gave me another opportunity to catch up with dad, to just talk and be together. 
    I did not play...

well, my putter not working the way it usually does (operator error, of course).  I had mostly bogeys, but they should have been pars had I worked the putter better and correctly.  It was the short putts that got me.  I would lag close to the hole, but I would then miss the three, four, five, or six-footers after that.  Frustrating, but not life or death frustrating, of course.
    I must now include my latest eagle!  When I shot my 38 on the front, I played the back nine with C.J. a day later to see if I could back up my strong play with a similar round on that side.  This eagle really helped me to shoot a 37, +2 for nine holes, and it gave me my best 18 hole score of the summer, a 75.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #18-Eagle #1 of 2015

    I had a decent round going, but this eagle really helped my score!  Josh Ray, the city manager, and his group were teeing off on #3, so I was unable to use that fairway this time.  The drive was definitely one of the best shots of the three I took for this hole.  It was long and down the left side, and it landed right on the fairway with a clear view of the green and the flag between the cottonwoods, the same trees I do my best to avoid when I take the hole #3 route. 
    The flag was on the back side near the middle, but it was closer to the left side compared to the right.  I chose my 5-iron for the approach, and this was the worst of the three shots, but it got me close enough to pitch on for my third.  I was just off the green, but it was far enough that I chose not to putt it.  I used my A-wedge.  I did the body-turning pitch shot, and this was the second best shot for my eagle.  It had a most satisfying, crisp feeling throughout contact. 
    For The First Tee, I teach that a chip shot flies a little and rolls a lot and a pitch flies a lot and rolls a little.  This definitely landed in the latter category.  It landed ten feet before the hole, bounced a few times, rolled for a foot or two breaking left and fell in, lightly tapping the flagstick.  Hooray!  I have my first eagle of the season.  Now, I would like an ace, or a score of even par or below par…or both.  Or both in the same round.  Why not?

Until next time…

Written on 7-25-15.

    I just had a fantastic date with my wife.  Actually, it’s still going on.  I am writing here on the laptop while my left leg is draped over the top of her legs.  We are both in the hammock, and she is reading.  It’s near dusk.  The La Platas have a distinct line with a soft orangish, pinkish glow above and dark black mountains below.  The lights on our neighbor’s porch are directly under our black metal table from my point of view here, and I can see their yard through the metal mesh of the chairs.  Our new pergola (outdoor shade) frames it all like a picture hanging on a wall.

No comments: