Sunday, August 30, 2015

Teachers Report; Belinda and I Do Not

8-22-15

     I have not written for far too long.  It’s a Saturday and Eric has just helped us get our swamp cooler up to speed.  It needed a new pump and new pads, and it also needed the spiders with the bearings on both sides of the thing so it would be smooth and quiet again.  It was getting squeaky.  It’s fixed now, but it wasn’t without a battle.  It’s a long story, but we eventually replaced the spiders, the pump, and the pads.  I had to return three of the spider bearing thingamajigs, one to Aztec Hardware and two to Lowe’s.  We had the worst time with the spider bearing on the west side; we needed to sand down the shaft to get it to work properly.  Either way, it’s done now.  I am feeling cool air as I sit in my living room to write this. 
    These past two weeks have been surreal.  Teachers had to report last Wednesday.  B and I did not.  Everyone had to attend the “pep assembly” on Friday.  Belinda and I did not.  This past Monday was Meet and Greet.  Teachers had to be “on” most of the day, meeting and greeting parents and new students to get them comfortable and ready for the the first day of school on Tuesday.  Belinda and I, once again, did not.  Instead, we did what we wanted.  We did some work, but it was work we wanted to do.  I played golf, of course.  I played nine holes last Wednesday, and I played nine holes this past Monday and Tuesday.  It felt surreal (and wonderful) to be able to play golf on those days, the days that are typically the most stressful and sweat-producing.
    I have two...

birdies to record.  I’ll do that first, and then I’ll add some more about how enjoyable the beginning to this school year has been, as well as some other news.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #28 of 2015


    C.J. and I played on James’s 22nd birthday, and it was also Meet and Greet Day.  C.J., tired of playing the Bogey Man, chose match play instead.  This birdie gave me a one-up lead straight away.  My drive landed my ball in the fairway to the left of the cottonwood.  The flag was just to the left of the ridge in the middle of the green again, so I put my ball on the right side just to give myself a challenge.  Just kidding.  I accidentally pushed it over there.  It reminded me of when I was on in two with Bruce in a recent round.  That time my ball broke way to the right and I missed my birdie attempt.  This time the flag was closer to the front, so my ball broke to the left instead.  Because the break was less than the time before, I was able to put it just past the hole on the right side.  I still had three feet left, but the break was minimal, and my ball stopped in the cup.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #6-Birdie #29 of 2015


    This one happened just yesterday.  Tom asked me to come out and help for the Special Olympics tournament.  This was the first time Special Olympics chose our course for their event.  I had a blast!  I was asked to welcome everyone and give a preview of the back nine by J.P., who did not want the job.  After my announcement, one of the Olympians asked if there were any animals on the course.  I said I had seen fox before.  He asked if they are dangerous, and I said not to worry; they would be more afraid of us than we would be of them. 
    After that, I was a tour guide.  I would hang out around and go back and forth between holes #14, #15, #16 and #17, directing everyone by showing them where to go.  When it was all done, I was even asked to award medals for a few of the groups.  That was fun!  Steve got to do it before me, and he said he even got a hug.  No hugs for me, but we agreed that he is more huggable.
    Anyway, when it was all over, C.J. came out to play with me after lunch.  Steve was done for the day, too, so I asked him to come along, and he agreed.  We were taking on the Bogey Man again.  The goal was to be +2 with the three of us working together.  On hole #4, Steve asked if someone else could join us, and we were fine with that.  So, as we teed off on #5, we switched it to even since we now had four players.  We were +1 when we got to this hole, so my birdie helped us by getting us back to even. 
    The hole was in what I consider the most difficult position, way over on the left side and toward the back.  I chose my 7-iron.  In the past, I might have chosen 8-iron, but my thought now is to choose the longer club and make a smoother, easier swing.  I was the first to tee off after my bogey on #5.  The pin positions were crazy tough, and it wasn’t just on a few of the holes.  On #6, it was in the top back right position.  I was on in regulation, but that difficult pin position did not help my chances of finishing with two putts, and I finished with three instead. 
    I aimed for the middle of the green.  A good line for me is the right side of the bunker.  I pulled my tee shot, but it was so crisp and long that I might have been lined up more towards the hole than the middle after all.  It was looking so sweet in the air that I had the briefest thought of the ever elusive ace.  No, no ace this time, but it did land just left and short of the flag.  Steve commented that he did not want to follow that shot, but he dropped one on the green just to the right and a bit farther away.  After everyone else had gone, Steve said it was up to me and we needed this putt. 
    It was not as close to the hole as we had thought from the teeing ground.  I was thinking ten feet, but it was more like 20.  I aimed a tad to the right, like four inches.  It didn’t look like it broke at all, holding a straight line right up until the moment the hole got in the way, and my ball fell in like a barrel going over the top of a waterfall.

    There.  I am caught up with my birdies again.  I have shot some decent scores lately, but nothing spectacular.  I can shoot low to mid eighties fairly consistently.  Getting into the seventies has not happened for far too long, though.
    As I have been writing this, Tiger has been finishing up his third round of the Wyndham Championship.  He is 14 under and in second place behind Jason Gore, who is 15 under.  He’s generating a lot of buzz with his low scoring, consistent play from the past two days.

No comments: