Monday, September 7, 2015

The Worst Storm We Have Ever Seen in Aztec

Written on 8-29-15.
   
    Tiger didn’t make it.  His season is over.  I don’t admire some of the things he has done (mostly his infidelity and his cussing), but I am admiring his perseverance right now.  No matter how badly he plays, he keeps going.  He knows how difficult this sport is.  He has a healthy respect for it, and I believe that’s a requirement for the proper demeanor in order to play.  Some people have it; some don’t. 
    Today I spent two hours using a blower on the practice greens at Hidden Valley.  We had the worst storm this area has seen since we’ve lived here.  It was a...

rainstorm that looked and acted more like a hurricane.  Multiple homes were wrecked here in Kokopelli with mud and water damage.  Our new pergola was half off, half on our deck in the middle of it all.  Belinda and I had to wrangle it back up onto our deck, and we were soaked through and through when we were done.  School was cancelled on Thursday morning, mostly due to the flooding at McCoy’s sister school, Lydia Rippey.  Amanda, who is now the enrichment teacher, helped move other teachers’ supplies and furniture into the cafeteria.  Lydia remained closed on Friday.  Crouch Mesa was hit the hardest; Eric said some of the homes washed off of their foundations and tumbled over and over!  Good grief!
    The golf course closed, too.  I had to eat my words after telling some new parents at the mandatory beginning meeting that we would still hold First Tee sessions even if the weather was bad.  I should have said that we would not be able to hold classes, however, if the golf course decided to close.  They are opening up again tomorrow for play, though, and that was part of the reason why I went to help out today.  I also wanted to make sure everything was up and running again for our upcoming sessions on Monday.  It’s important because somebody from national is coming to observe me for both of those sessions that day.  Thankfully, it will be all cleaned up and ready, as long as we don’t have another nasty storm again.

On to golf…

    I earned another birdie recently. Since Bruce is back to school now, C.J. and I are playing alone more often than ever.  We have played match play a couple of times, and I was barely able to beat him both times.  We decided skins for this last match, but he would get two pops per nine holes.  That made it a better match.  He won the skins, but it was a tense, competitive match.  Well, as tense and competitive as C.J. and I can get.  I won the least expensive hole at the start of our round together.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #16-Birdie #30 of 2015

    I have had better success with longer drives lately.  Working out has helped, of course.  This drive was just past the 150 yard marker, but just short and left of the cottonwood tree.  I used my 7-iron to attempt to hit the green, and I really thought it would end up short.  It headed toward the tree on the top of the left hill, and I thought that’s where it would end up, somewhere below that tree.  After looking around for a bit, I decided to look past the green, because it certainly wasn’t visible on the green either. 
    It was off the back, an A-wedge chip away from the hole.  The cup was near the back and in the middle.  My chip landed my ball near the hole, but it went well past it, stopping in the middle of the green.  My putt was from 20 feet away, and it would curve left.  I saw a little white spot that was short and right of the hole to aim for, and, much to C.J.’s chagrin, it went in.  He shouldn’t have worried, though.  The larger amounts of money were coming on the back nine, and he won plenty.

    That’s it for now.  B is going to cut my hair again and then we are headed to Farmington to see the movie Man From U.N.C.L.E.  Weekends are just better now that we are “rewired.”

Until next time…

No comments: