Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The "Great Eight"

Written on 9-5-15.

    I am in “my spot” on the deck up at the cabin home.  “My spot” is around the corner of the deck on the far side of the homestead where the deck is narrow.  Oh, What a Beautiful Morning is playing on my iPod, and it’s so appropriate.  Misty is with me.  She’s whining and wandering back and forth around the corner.  I just asked her to come lie down beside me, and she did. 
    It’s cloudy today, more cloudy than clear, but the blue is peeking out over my left shoulder.  It’s so pleasant, because it’s not too hot or too cool.  I am wearing my oversized, slightly faded, grape purple sweater.  It protects me from the occasional brisk breeze.  So happy with “my spot,” my laptop, and my coffee. 
    Belinda and Amanda are here with me, and Eric is coming up later this afternoon to join us for dinner.  Danielle is here this Labor Day weekend due to a...

folk festival in Pagosa Springs.  She’s there now with three of her friends, who all happen to be boys.  She’s so like her mother; B’s close friends in high school were mostly boys, too. 
    We just cut some wood for the upcoming fall weather.  It was the wood that used to be A’s and E’s fence, but they didn’t need it anymore.  Amanda just used a serious weed cutter with two wheels in the back and bright orange rotating trim lines in the front to cut some paths through the tall grass, weeds, native plants and flowers.  Now, it’s peaceful again.  Ah, time to breathe deeply and get some writing out of my system.
    This past week was momentous for Belinda and me.  On Monday, Pat Zuk from The First Tee came to observe my two sessions.  It went very well. His biggest and best compliment was that if someone hadn’t told him that I had just done my first session this past summer, he would not have believed I was just starting out.  I’m just doing my best to follow the curriculum, and I know my 25.5 years of teaching experience comes through as we go through each lesson.  He also gave me some great feedback that I could use immediately.  I am still learning, of course.  Anyway, it felt great to get that done.
    The other momentous occasion came on Tuesday.  Right after my observation, Belinda and I “escaped” to Grand Junction to spend the night at the DoubleTree there.  The next morning, we got up early to go to her appointment for the first dose of her Gilenya medication for her MS.  She had to be observed for six hours; it was a long day, but it was went by quickly.  Honestly, despite the circumstances, I was thankful to have the time alone with her.  The hour before lunch was the riskiest time, according to our nurse.  Three hours after taking her pill, her heart rate had the possibility of dropping so low that she would need to be admitted to the hospital and then required to spend the night there.  Her heart rate did drop, but not so much that there would be any problems.  After an EKG, we were free to go just before 2:00. 
    The hour before lunch, was also the most emotional.  That probably helped her keep her heart rate up, though.  Amanda had organized some major family letter writing for Belinda.  James, Danielle, Kyle, Rebecca, Eric and Amanda all wrote something, each in his or her own special way, and all were in full support of Belinda during this difficult transition and the continued beginning of our coping with this disease. 
    Sigh.  My wife has Multiple Sclerosis.  We are taking steps, but it’s been hard.  What will happen to her?  How will this affect her?  Will this medication help?  Writing this I am overcome with sadness.  Lord, please give us continued quality of life together.  Thank you for the 25 incredible, wonderful, and memorable years we have had so far.  Grant us 25 more, please.  Grant us more, if it’s Your will.
    Danielle wrote about her embarrassing and funny moments with some workers who came to work on the balcony in her apartment.  Then she shared her love and support.  Becca gave us a crossword puzzle and some Spanish games on multi-colored index cards.  Then she shared her love and support.  James shared pictures and stories of his New Zealand adventure.  We got more details than ever before, and it was a delight to read.  Then he shared his love and support.  Kyle wrote an action story with amazing humor.  It involved guns, helicopters, a rescue from an evil secretary of education, and it had us both laughing and crying.  That’s how he showed his love and support.  Eric wrote about some of his favorite memories from the past 30 years or so (including an angry Belinda and a nervous Eric driving to the hospital with very little gas just before Becca was born), and he said he looked forward to more.  That’s how he showed his love and support.  Amanda also ended with thoughts of what was going to happen in the future, like painting rooms together, and since she was the one who organized the whole writing thing, that was how she showed her love and support.  I love our families.  I nicknamed us all “The Great Eight” recently.  Very fitting, in my opinion.

No comments: