Saturday, October 17, 2015

Headin' to See My Bro for a 50th Birthday Surprise

Written on 10-9-15.

    Well, this is fun!  I am on United Flight 1887 to Dulles to surprise Guy for his 50th birthday.  We will surprise him tonight after he comes home from ShyShay’s baseball game.  Their friend Krystal (not her real name) is picking us up.  Bev and Duncan, Guy’s college roommate from their Mesa days, are on a Southwest flight right now.  They got a head start on my flight, but we should arrive close to the same time.  If the game gets rained out, though, Annmarie will pick us up instead.  Either way, Guy is in for a big shock.  I look forward to seeing the look on his face when he sees all of us and learns what’s in store for him this weekend.  His birthday isn’t officially until the 28th.
    Tomorrow, we are going on a brewery tour.  We have three stops to make.  Dave, one of Guy’s good neighbors and great friends, and I will be “in charge.”  At the final stop, he will be surprised again with a dinner with more family and more friends.
    On Sunday, we will play golf at...

Westfields, a Fred Couples designed course and one I’ve never played.  Our group will have Bev (just riding along), Duncan, Steve and the man of the weekend, Guy.  That will be fantastic!  I am soooo looking forward to that day as well. 
    In other news, I earned a birdie when C.J. and I last played.  It was on Eric’s sponsorship hole, #6.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #6-Birdie #35 of 2015

    I chose my 8-iron.  Hey, that’s what I wrote to start off my last birdie at Glacier, too.  I was trying something new and different, exploring my own game during this round.  I was focusing on having “silent” hands.  I was simply turning my body back and through the ball and letting my hands do as they may.  It was highly effective for this swing.  I thought it would help with consistency, more with aiming consistency than anything else, and I was right.  I had some troubles on other swings with finding the bottom of my swing, but this was a confident click of my club against the ball.  It disappeared from my view as it flew.  It’s getting difficult to see golf balls in flight with the fall sunlight.  Then it reappeared in my vision as a little speck of a thing on the green, and it stopped right next to the hole on its right side.  C.J. said out loud that he wanted it to go in the hole, but it had already stopped at that point. 
    The putt was unceremonious.  It was so short, but I had freakishly missed a putt of similar length for par on the previous hole.  Good thing C.J. had already given it to me.  We were playing the Reversed Handicap Game, one we hadn’t played for a long time.

    Rereading this year’s journal, I noted that we received all of our data back earlier this year after the soaked laptop incident.  This is how it’s been resolved.  First, I am paying $0.99/month for iCloud storage.  That was recently upgraded from 20 GB to 50 GB for free, so that is one area where we are covered.  Second, after speaking with an Apple agent, I figured out how to transfer all of my music from my iPod Touch back to this computer.  Actually, it was just getting my playlists put back on there that was the issue.  The music was there, but it wasn’t organized into the playlists I had worked on so diligently years ago.  Third, we used the 500 GB drive that DriveSavers sent us to become our new back-up for this computer.  We made it the drive for Time Machine, so it now backs up our computer regularly.  Every time I plug it into the USB port, it makes a current back-up of all of our data.  I backed everything up once more just before leaving on this trip.  Lastly, I never did go through all the stuff that was on the old HD, but I did see some pictures that I was happy to know are back in our care.  I also have every chat from my family back in our possession, but will we ever use them?  Share them?  Who knows?  At least I know we have them buried in this computer’s memory. 
    Also triggered by my rereading, I saw that the city did take over the golf course in February of this year, but it’s gotten mixed reviews. 
    First, with the power of the city behind it, it’s had some major upgrades, namely the parking lot drainage problem right at the entrance to the golf course has been mostly resolved.  The parking lot still does not have great drainage along the fence and in the turnaround, however, and the large amounts of rain really exaggerates the issue with all of the mud and sludge that accumulates.  Second, even with the drawbacks of the toxic sludge from Silverton affecting our water supply for ten days and the worst rainstorm (a small hurricane really), the city, with its equipment and employees, has managed to keep the course open and playable.  The atmosphere there has changed, too.  Less cussers and smokers is the best way for me to describe the change there.  And, without the city’s takeover, I would not have one of my best and new “rewirement” jobs, a job I dearly love as The First Tee golf coach for Aztec. 
    Randy, the owner of Rubio’s and now Ruby’s and Ruby’s in the Valley, and Mike, my super volunteer, talked yesterday about some of the problems.  For example, the course is in bad shape.  It’s weedy.  Everywhere.  It has less grass than it did just five years ago.  The greens are better still, and they are playing satisfactorily, but it’s not a high quality course, and although Randy likes the new super as a person, he feels he lacks direction and motivation.  Sigh.  We discussed how it could potentially do better as a nine-hole course with some fantastic practice facilities.  That would bode well for our community and for The First Tee, too.  Randy mentioned an advisory committee.  I think that’s a smart idea.  We’ll see if it ever happens.

No comments: