Wednesday, October 14, 2015

A Cabin Home Fall Day and My First Training

10-3-15

    I am sitting next to my wife up at the cabin home, but we are not alone this time.  Eric is out on his patio, and I can see him through the window directly behind the stove. The stove has flames flowing like bright orange ribbons in the wind, but these ribbons are flowing vertically.  Amanda is sitting by the stove/fireplace.  We just had a delicious breakfast with sausage, french toast, and sliced apples.  Hey, we’re back at the cabin home again! We wanted to see the fall colors because they were just beginning to turn last weekend, and we were right to come back.  The drive up here was spectacular; fall colors have multiplied greatly in one week.
    Okay, it’s about five hours later now, and I just sat down again after running errands in Durango and having lunch at Chavolo’s with the Edgertons.  I wanted to buy three video adapters/dongles for my Time to Teach trainings, but they only had two at Connecting Point for my MacBook Pro.  When I go to present at various schools, I’ll need every type of adapter ready to go to match whatever my clients will have for their projectors or screens.  I bought the VGA and the DGI today, and now I only need the HDMI; they had none of those in stock today. 
    I also stopped at Home Depot to buy stuff for the cabin home.  I picked up mouse traps (old-fashioned, new-fangled with poison, and large ones with glue), defoggers, hanging sticky tape for flies and moths, brackets to hold shelves in the garage, and some other hanging devices with “grabbers” for rakes, shovels, and bikes.  It took a while, but...

I got it all.  Amanda, Eric, and Belinda were all working in the garage while I was there, so it was easy for them to see what was needed.  Then they would just call me and add to my list. 
    It’s 3:03 in the afternoon now, and Belinda is napping out in our GMC truck.  Amanda is reading next to the fireplace, and Eric is fiddling in the garage building his new shelves with the materials I picked up.  I am on the Daney’s former leather couch with my feet up on the seat cushion from our old glider rocker, the dark green one that was reupholstered years ago.  Scratch that; I just moved downstairs to the recliner.  It’s cooler down here, and I can listen to my music without bothering Amanda.
    The biggest and best news that I must report has nothing to do with golf.  I have my first Time to Teach training scheduled!  This is HUGE!  I have worked so hard for this to happen, and Belinda and I are both thrilled.  It was nearly a year ago when I rearranged my parent-teacher conference schedule in order to attend a “train the trainer” training in Sedona, Arizona.  Kirk Carpenter, our superintendent, graciously paid for my training in exchange for a future discounted training. 
    Well, that discounted training is scheduled for two dates: Friday, October 16th and Monday, January 4th, three hours each for a full six hour training.  I sent off my associate worksheet yesterday morning.  I certainly won’t make as much as I could with the “regular” prices, but I feel humble and fortunate to have a start, and in my hometown no less. 
    My next goal is to knock their socks off.  I must make sure I am on top of my game.  Dale recorded me doing a training to nobody at Aztec Media, a necessary step if I intend to become an “invitational trainer,” a trainer who can train anywhere in the nation.  That helped me prepare for the upcoming training, too.  I know the program, and I’ve used it for well over a decade, but that’s quite different from presenting the program to other teachers in an entertaining and educational format.
    In golf news, I finished one of my First Tee sessions, the PLAYer group session.  I now only have the final four sessions for the Par group to finish up for this fall.  Also, I’ll be flying out to Virginia this coming Friday to surprise Guy for his 50th birthday.  Bev, Duncan, Steve Pawlish and many others are coming out for this momentous event, and it’s going to be a blast.  I’ve been in charge of the photo slideshow.  People (okay, mostly Annmarie) have been sending me photos, so I’ve been taking them and scanning them, or putting them into iPhoto, for a rather large and long slideshow that everyone can watch during the celebration.  It’s turned out great, and Annmarie just sent more photos today.  It will probably have over 200 photos when it’s all finished.  Annmarie has arranged a golf outing, so I am looking forward to that, of course.  She said she plans on including a long drive and a closest to the hole competition.  Hopefully, I’ll be in the group with Guy.
    That’s enough for now.  I have to stop and carry some shelving material up to the garage for Eric, and Belinda and I are planning on driving to the Jersey Jim Fire Tower to enjoy more fall foliage soon. 

Until next time…

No comments: