Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Robbie Ward Memorial Tournament-Part 1

Written on 6-11-16.

     Well, my back survived it.  It’s a bit sore, but I can tell I am on my way to recovery.  Hopefully, I can start working out again vigorously this week.  
     Today is Bev and Curt’s 28th wedding anniversary.  Congrats to them.  I just texted her to congratulate them and confirm that it’s been 28 years, and she literally just texted me back saying it is.  Wow!  I’m so happy and relieved that the Verizon strike is over now, too, and that Bev can be back at her home and working at her “regular” job again.
     Our team took 8th place out of 19 teams in the Robbie Ward Memorial Tournament, and we were able to get it to 7 under with a score of 65.  The winning team got it to 15 under, and that score tied another team’s score, so they held a playoff.  
     Usually, in order to save time, a scorecard playoff is used, but a playoff playoff took place to determine the winners.  It was a father vs. son playoff, and the father was victorious.  After the playoff, raffle prizes were given out and this year I won a big one!  I won a...
free round of golf for four people at Hillcrest, including two carts, a $220.00 value, so that more than paid for my entry fee of $60.00.  I plan on sharing it with our “original” Robbie Ward team members: C.J., Bruce, and Reilly.
     We had fun today.  A bit of frustration developed within our team when a group that was two groups ahead of us slowed things down to a crawl.  They were playing the wrong/incorrect way, not really following the format at all, even letting one of the young photographer girls tee off on one hole, the worst offense in my opinion; do that on your own time and not during a tournament with groups waiting to tee off behind you.  At one point they were suddenly the group directly ahead of us, and we were the group waiting to tee off.  Not sure how that happened, but it really slowed things down.  
     I was mostly okay with it; it did not upset me as much it did the others, but I completely saw my teammates’ points.  They should not have even been out there if they weren’t planning on following the rules.  We survived, though.  We finished at a decent time.  
Here’s a hole by hole replay of how we got it to 7 under, including the surprise ending on hole #9.

Hole #10-We got two shots on the green.  We chose the downhill putt because it was closer.  We got it close enough to earn our par.

Hole #11-My drive flew over the trees on the right, and we were a pitch away.  Pat hit a high shot that landed about twelve feet away, but were were unable to make the putt, even after using two of our ten mulligans.  

Hole #12-C.J.’s tee shot was just to the left of the green and the closest.  Then he made a chip that got the closest, too.  We all had good ups, but C.J. owned this hole.  We got a par, so we were through the “sisters” at even par, and we felt a little cheated for not getting a birdie on #11.

Hole #13-My drive barely cleared the wash. My pitch got us close enough for C.J. to make the putt after getting three reads from the rest of us.  We were under par for the first time.


Hole #14-My drive put us past the 150 yard marker, another one of my bests.  Too bad the longest drive was on hole #7 this time.  The hole was in the bowl, but it took two more mulligans for us to get a shot to get down into the bowl, and it was Mike who got it done.  We were off the green for our eagle attempts, and we all failed, but we got our birdie.  We were two under now.

No comments: