Sunday, October 23, 2016

How I Was Hired and Terrible Golf

Finished up on 9-29-16.

     Belinda and I head to Prescott tomorrow to watch Emily play in a soccer match.  They will play Simpson University from California.  I have two meetings in Flagstaff tomorrow afternoon for Time to Teach and then two more in Prescott on Monday.  We will see what happens with those.  I had a meeting with the assistant principal at Ignacio Elementary yesterday, too, and that was an encouraging one.  He seemed impressed, but who knows.  I did not realize Rocky (last name) was still working there for the Ignacio School District; he’s their athletic director.  I did not know Alfonso (last name) was the Dean of Students or Melanie (last name) was the principal of the high school either.  Bayfield was not interested in a training.  I called again when I was in Ignacio to see if I could stop by, but they made it clear I should not waste my time.  They were not interested.

Written on 10-12-16.

     I’m sitting on our longer couch again in our living room, “Refuge.”  This time, though, I’m on the far left side, the side that is near the gas stove fireplace.  B is having dinner tonight at her mom’s, and they are having soup.  B had made some homemade chicken rice soup, and we’ve eaten it multiple times, so I am hoping she doesn't come back with any of it, even though it is delicious.  I made homemade chili for my dinner, and to...
brag a little bit, it turned out really well.  I hope we don’t run out of those leftovers soon.  I’m half watching a Netflix documentary called From Fat to Finish Line.  It’s about a group of people who all lost 100 lbs. or thereabout each and are running a Ragnar relay marathon together.  I’ve been eating better and exercising fairly consistently for about six weeks now, and although I haven’t seen the results on the scale, I have seen and felt the results with my body; I feel lighter and stronger.  
     It’s weird how I’ve been hired for my jobs throughout my life.  When I was of high school age, I remember being asked in an interview at a craft store what a former boss would say about me, and I said something like, “No problems.  He’s a really hard and reliable worker.”
     He liked that answer, and I got that job.  Well, I did get hired for that Coach/Consultant job through NMSU’s CORE Program.  This time, Belinda and I heard the confirmation over the phone.  While speaking to Rocio, my new boss/director, in our hotel room in Prescott, her words were something like, “Please let me know by tomorrow or Wednesday.”  
     Those words meant I had been offered the job, so we celebrated and ate whatever we wanted on the way home.  It was worth the celebration!  I now have a job that will help us to get ahead, a job that will give Belinda the word she has been hoping and yearning for for months, maybe years: security.

On to golf…

     Golf is terrible right now.  I have not been able to shoot a low score, and it’s been miserable.  C.J. and I played today, and although I did beat him in the game we chose, he beat me in stroke play.  The time we played before, he beat me in match play, too.  He did not play well today either, though.  It was a Murphy’s Law kind of round for both of us.  I also played at the NMSU Golf Course this past weekend.  Oh, and I played in Prescott the weekend before, too, but that was only nine holes.  I don’t see the scorecard from NMSU, so I’m going to replay it right here in the journal.  I played with four other guys, and we played a game where we had different teammates every six holes.  I was lost as to how I was doing, but at the end of the round, I was the only one to earn a par, and when all things were figured and settled, one of the guys handed me $3.00.  These were my scores…

#1, par 4-6
#2, par 3-6
#3, par 4-5
#4, par 5-5
#5, par 4-7 (lost ball)
#6, par 3-4
#7, par 4-5
#8, par 5-6
#9, par 4-5
Total: 49

#10, par 4-5
#11, par 3-4
#12, par 5-6
#13, par 4-5
#14, par 4-handicap 7 (lost ball)
#15, par 5-5
#16, par 4-5
#17, par 3-5
#18, par 4-4
Total: 46

18 Hole Total: 95


     Yuck!  I struggled, and I could not get off the “bogey train” except for when I went in the other direction.  Getting that last par, though, and being surprised with the little $3.00 payday at the very end made it fun.

No comments: