Monday, November 21, 2016

One Hole, Three Players, Three Birdies

Written on 10-26-16.

     I don’t have much time to write.  Belinda and I are treating her parents to dinner as a thank you for their paying a big chunk of one of our medical bills.  We saw that $2000.00 was taken off of Belinda’s bill for her recent hysterectomy surgery, but we thought it was due to an insurance adjustment.  Nope.  It was for a love adjustment instead.  Amanda was the one who ratted them out for us.  I’m glad she did, though.  It will be great tonight to look them in the eyes and sincerely thank them for their kind and wonderful gesture.  I can only hope we can pay it forward someday for our children.  We are blessed.
     Bruce, C.J., and I played 18 holes today. Bruce is mostly done with Rei’s car (he sent pictures in an e-mail), and it looks amazing.  Reilly is going to be thrilled when they drive it to him this Friday.
It was another gorgeous day for golf.  I don’t want the colder, nastier weather to come.  Colder weather, please stay away.  Sigh.  
     Every round has a story or two, and this round was no different.  It started when we all earned birdies on the first hole.  Now that’s something I know has never happened before.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #1-Birdie #53 of 2016

     I like how birdies can be achieved in so many different ways by different players; the variety is endless, and it makes golf a very unique and individualized sport.  
     C.J. drove his ball off the fairway to the right side near some roots.  Then he recovered right back onto the fairway to a spot just before the hills.  After that, he made a pitch to less than four feet to get his birdie.
     Bruce drove his ball onto the fairway, and his second shot sailed to the right of the cottonwood where it stopped on the green below the hole.  He cleaned up with two putts to get his birdie.
I drove mine onto the fairway, left of the cottonwood.  Then my 7-iron put my ball just off the green on the right side.  I chose to putt my ball up and over the hill and onto the green, where it stopped short with about eight feet to go.  I made that next putt, and that is how I got my birdie.

     We agreed to give C.J. a pop on this hole, so he won the hole with a net eagle, but we didn’t figure that out until hole #9.  It didn’t really matter, though, because he chipped in for a par on the next hole after putting his tee shot into the ditch.  So, even if we had pushed the points from #1, he would have won them right back on hole #2.  It turns out he just won them outright without any point pushing.  Make sense?  
     This was a very close competition.  At the end of nine holes, C.J. and I were tied with 24 points, but Bruce wasn’t way ahead like he normally is.  He had 26 points.  

Gotta go to dinner now.  Until next time…

Written on 10-27-16.


     We had a swell dinner, eating at the new Italian restaurant in Farmington.  Even the foodies, Dale and Anna, were happy with our choice.  Dale, Jess, and Belinda ended up reminiscing about the various cars, accidents, and adventures they had when B was in high school.  Anna and I became the fourth and fifth wheels at that point, but it was fun to see them having such an enjoyable time reliving some memories together.  And, we got to do what we set out to do, thank them for their super generosity by treating them to dinner.

No comments: