Sunday, March 19, 2017

1st First Tee Activities

Written on 3-14-17.

     I helped with The First Tee at McCoy with Tom and Coach T. today, and it was super fun!  Instead of being a teacher and dropping off my students to hurriedly head back to my classroom and my prep time in order to do my best to get one task done (or maybe two), I got to stay to teach and play golf. My one or two tasks did not include, however, going to the bathroom and having a snack.
     I’ve set my dates for this summer’s program, and I am working on getting certified again.  I’m really looking forward to this summer and doing another session.  
     I have one new birdie to report, so here I go.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #8-Birdie #5 of 2017

     The day before this birdie, I saw Pat Otero, and I told him that C.J. and I were going to be playing at 10:30 the next morning, but I didn’t expect him to show up.  He did, though, and that was great.  So, C.J., Pat, and I played nine holes before I played another nine holes with Whitney and Cutler for The First Tee.  
     We decided on the skins game, the escalating one, and off we went.  It was close, but this birdie gave me the win, even though we all tied on the last hole.  Pat won the second greatest amount of money when he won hole #6 with a par.  He ended up with $170,000.00 for his total.  C.J. won the first bonus with the longest drive on hole #1, and he shared the money on the last hole, too.
     I attempted to drive the green, and my ball flight ended up being a slight draw that floated over the trees on the right side of the fairway.  Pat said he would have liked to have seen that drive with a pro tracer.  I ended up on the left side in the rough, a short pitch from the green.  The pin was on the middle tier this time, so I knew I had to get it to stop on that section.  I used my approach wedge, and it worked.  It came out low, but it bounced on the bottom tier, and it rolled up to the left of the flag.  My putt was an 18-footer, and it was straight.  Making this birdie helped, but I only needed a par; my partners both made bogeys.  I ended up winning $190,000.00 when all was said and done.  

     I ended up shooting a 40.  A long putt on hole #2 pushed the money after Pat put his putt from just out of the bunker right next to the hole for his par.  I might have had an even lower score without the double bogey on hole #3.  I wanted to drive the green again and get a birdie.  Pat found my ball on the right side of the green on #4 when we played that hole.  Enough for now.  I need to eat dinner and get ready for a church meeting.


Until next time…

No comments: