Sunday, August 27, 2017

Mancos Musings

Written on 8-20-17.

      Why is it so important for me to describe my setting when I write?  It’s historical.  Time is always in motion, so doing so puts an indelible stamp on a place, a feeling, a memory.  
     I’m sitting in our firetruck red ’01 GMC truck, and I am facing Jackson Reservoir and the dam; I’m looking straight out over our steering wheel.  My laptop’s screen is resting on that steering wheel, and the rest is settled against my belly.  A breeze blows through the passenger window and goes right out my open door on the other side.  My little speaker cube is hanging from the rear view mirror, and the song Rise Above This is pulsing through the Bluetooth from my iPad Mini.  That song reminds me of when we were getting my Masters, but that was a decade ago.  We rose above it.  
     I’m drinking my iced coffee out of the 32 oz. Giant cup I used yesterday for my green tea when we drove here.  Two more mini Mounds bars (I started with three) are nestled next to the keys and my sunglasses on the center console.  They are dressed in red, and they remind me of little demons; constantly tempting me to eat their chocolaty, coconutty goodness inside.  Damn Mounds bars!  The message center on the dash is blinking the word SECURITY over and over again, because the door is open.  Now, only one Mounds bar remains.
     Belinda, the love of my life, is...
out on the water in a kayak.  I just had a pleasant visit with Ed (last name) and his wife.  They stopped to gather some of the gear from their boat.  Belinda and I saw the boat when I parked here, and we said I could just move if I needed to if the owners returned.  We didn’t know we knew the owners at the time.  I won’t need to move.  He is going to get his trailer, and then he will drive his boat over to the dock on the opposite side.  He said a few times that it’s a bunch of work.  I caught them up on what Belinda and I are doing now, specifically our new jobs for this school year.  It was great to see them.  He caught seven trout last night, and I got to see them in his cooler.  I went to the 8:30 AM mass here in Mancos, and they said they would go to evening mass at Bloomfield later tonight.  Ed is in charge of the lectors just like I’m in charge of the ushers at St. Joseph’s.
     I just reread/skimmed what I had written so far in this journal, and I want to add that Bruce does play at Hidden Valley every once in a while.  I had written that he wouldn’t play there anymore, but that didn’t turn out to be true.  We’ve also played at Pinon Hills together, and I invited him to play Hillcrest once.  Also, I did get that training at Sunrise Elementary, of course.  I had written that I had a meeting with Jennifer Coon and her principal, Dora Solis, and I wondered if it would result in a training.  Well, it did, and I know I have already written about it previously, but it was my biggest training ever with 51 participants!
     Belinda and I are back at the cabin home now.  She just woke up from a nap, and I am warming up the pizza we had for dinner last night for lunch.  I watched a great PGA special that featured Brooks Koepka, Jordan Spieth, Bernard Langer, Justin Thomas, and others.  The emphasis was on how sports can have a positive effect and impact on peoples’s lives.  I completely agree.  
     During commercials, I watched some AVP action, and I was shocked to see a gray-haired Randy Stoklos being interviewed.  I remember watching him live in Boulder at the Jose Cuervo Tournament years ago, and Kelly and I used one of his quotes for our Spike Doctor clinics all the time, “I can side-out with anybody.  Anybody.”
     Now, I am watching the Solheim Cup, and Belinda has moved out to the deck to read.  A storm is brewing.  Ah, life is great!  I needed a break, and the cabin home is providing it…again.  And, what better way to take a break than simply writing, relaxing, and watching some incredible golf.  I’ve got the Wyndham Championship, the USGA Championship, and the one I am watching the most, the Solheim Cup.  
Lexi Thompson is playing amazing golf, coming back from from being four down to one up with one to play.  Her competitor, Ana Nordqvist, just stuffed one in there on #18, however, to a couple of feet.  So fun to watch!  Lexi just picked up and handed Ana her ball mark.  Classy move.  Now, she has her putt for birdie to win the match.  She missed, so they ended all square, but it feels like more of a victory than a tie for the United States.  It’s fitting that they tied; they both played so well.


Until next time…

No comments: