Monday, August 21, 2017

Conquistador Birdie, James is 24, and Danielle Will Be 22

Written on 8-18-17.

     I got two birdies today, and I still have one I need to record from our Swope Family Reunion.  So, here I go.

On to golf…

Conquistador Golf Course-Hole #15-Birdie #13 of 2017

     I was fortunate enough to play golf twice with the Virginia Swopes during the reunion.  We walked a full eighteen holes at this course for our first round, and we rode/walked/played nine holes at the South Forty the next day.  Both were fun, and I was once again impressed by ShyShay.  The girl’s got skills.  She had some sweet, smooth, and effortless swings, and her driver put her golf ball consistently past holes that were 150 yards away.  Guy and I talked about getting clubs fitted better to her size and swing; it’s time.
     Getting this birdie helped me begin to catch up to Guy in match play.  I was giving him one stroke per hole, and he was two up after hole #14.  Getting this birdie kickstarted my comeback.
     I chose driver, of course, and my intent was to cut the corner.  I cut it, but...
a bit too much.  My ball ended up in the dirt that was on the left side of this dogleg left hole, and I had some bushes and rocks to contend with.  Thankfully, I found my ball, and it had an exit plan that could get it back to the fairway.  I chose my 5-iron and made my escape.  Guy and Annmarie’s golf balls both took a swim in a tiny creek that ran across the fairway.  Despite the stakes, they were miffed that it was hardly noticeable.  After my escape, my ball was on the fairway, past the mostly hidden water creeks, and just a short pitch from the green.  My approach wedge got the call, and I lofted my ball to the top tier where the hole was.  My distance was super, but my accuracy…not so much.  My ball stopped level with the hole, but a good 15 feet out to the left.  I rolled that one in, though, for a birdie and some momentum.

     I hit the green and got a par on the next hole to get back to even.  My drive went left into the rough on #17, and I made what I thought was an incredible putt from around 18 feet for bogey on that hole to go one up.  Even Guy complimented that putt.  
     I was one up with one to go.  He got a bogey, and with his one pop, earned a par.  That was impressive, considering he was fading so fast.  He was so tired from all the traveling and the activities that he even put his hands on his knees to catch his breath a few times (we were walking, and it was hot).  I earned another par, and that was enough to beat him this time.  I know he was exhausted, but I had also finished with some consistent golf going birdie, par, bogey, par on the last four holes.

     Before I get to the two birdies from today’s round, it’s worth noting that James had his 24th birthday yesterday and the day before.  Let me explain.  On the 16th, he had his New Zealand birthday, and yesterday was his American birthday.  He milked it and celebrated twice, of course, just like his old man.  Although I celebrate my birthdays up to seven times when it’s a really BIG birthday.  And although we already bought her those “birthday boots,” Danielle’s is coming up a week from today, and she will be 22.  Good grief!  I remember those two when they were 4 and 2.  How, oh how, do 20 years go by so quickly?  
     Happy birthday, James and Danielle!  Your mother and I are so proud of the fine people you have become, and we look forward to all of the other great things you will accomplish.  James, we wish we could be there with you, but just like I wrote in your birthday card, we are always with you in spirit.  Danielle, I am glad we got to spend some early birthday time with you, but I’m sorry it was so rushed and hectic.  Rushed and hectic, though, is better than none and zero.


No comments: