Saturday, March 17, 2018

"Las-t" Cruces Trip

Written on 3-9-18.

     I am in the passenger seat of our new Canyon, and Amanda, Belinda, and I are headed to Las Cruces for the weekend.  This trip was originally planned because of a staff meeting for the CORE, but it was canceled.  Darn it.  Now, it’s become a pleasure and business trip due to Time to Teach.  We stopped by SAMS Academy to drop off the certificates from their January training, and Coreen asked me about a half-day follow-up on July 30th, so that’s exciting and encouraging.  B and I will work up that quote and get it ready for a Monday delivery.  As soon as we arrive in Las Cruces, we are going to Valley View Elementary where Danielle is doing her practicum work, so she can show us her little 1st grade kiddos and give us a little tour.  I brought materials to drop off there, too, and I may have a meeting with the principal.  We shall see.
     A quick update on some things from the last post.  The travel reimbursement I sent in is ready for my signature; I just got the e-mail.  Since we are going to be in Las Cruces in less than three hours, I am going to see if I can stop by and sign the papers while I’m in town.  That would be...
fantastic, because I can get it processed faster that way.  We had a wonderful time and an incredibly delicious dinner at Ben and Dixie’s.  They were so pleased to show off their new ranch and home, but Ben was bummed I was not able to get the entire picture to the darkening sky.  After visiting Dr. Blue, I decided not to pursue an implant.  Yes, we have the correct insurance now, but it does not cover this type of procedure.  I’m letting it go for now.  Finally, Belinda and I are still happily married, of course, but the friends I mentioned are still moving forward with the divorce.  I spoke with him about it briefly, and he said it was terrible and horrible.  I said I would be there for him and his family if they were to need anything.  Sigh.

On to golf…

     The weather was at its best this winter yesterday, a 65-degree sunshine-filled day, so I headed out to the course.  I texted my buddies, but neither showed.  I played alone.  I did pretty well for such a long layover.  I hit the first four greens in regulation, and I managed a new birdie on #4.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #4-Birdie #3 of 2018             

     It took four greens in regulation to get a shot close enough for a legitimate look at a birdie.  On #1, I had to putt down the hill.  #3 gave me an uphill putt, but it was still 15 feet away, and #3 was around 40 feet from the hole down on the bottom tier.  I triple-putted that one.  This one, however, was close.  I used my approach wedge, and this flag was on the top tier.  I pulled this tee shot a bit.  A reoccurring swing thought was “hands away,” and it was helping with consistent contact, but it was not the best for accuracy.  I asked it to bounce right, and it followed my orders.  It bonked off the hill, plopped onto the green, and stopped five feet below the hole.  The putt was straight, and it went straight in, too.

     I faltered with two bogeys, but I bounced back with two more pars.  Then I scuffed a putt for par on the last hole to finish with a double bogey.  Despite that small blunder, I shot a 40, +4 on the front, one of my best scores on that side.
     After a long break and a yummy brunch out on the patio, I took off to play the back.  Because I’d been fasting since Saturday, I had plenty of energy and no allergy-induced asthma going on, and it was a great feeling.  I had clarity, and I believe that helped me to play better, especially considering it was one of the first rounds of the season.  I started the back with another birdie.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #10-Birdie #4 of 2018             

     I chose my 9-iron, because the teeing ground was farther up than usual.  I got another green in regulation, but this one was closer to the distances I was looking at on the first three holes.  My ball was on the top tier, and the flag was on the back right side, so I was looking at an adventure of a putt.
     After the putt went in, I whooped, and I acknowledged my pretend crowd.  It was such a long putt, and it broke to the left 12 feet.  After I grabbed my golf ball out of the hole, I paced the distance, and I took 18 steps, so that was a record putt.  I would bet even money that it would be in the top ten of the longest putts I have ever made.

     I am going to stop now (to avoid getting “truck sickness”), but when I return I will write from some of the notes I put on that scorecard.  I had some thoughts that popped into my head when I was playing that I want to share.  My final score for that round was an 82, so not bad!  I plan on playing at the NMSU Course tomorrow, so I’ll find out if that type of consistent play will continue.  


Until next time…

No comments: