Wednesday, February 28, 2018

What Makes a Marriage Work?


Written on 2-25-18.

     I’m watching Round 4 on the CBS Simulcast here in our computer room.  I just finished up some work on my travel reimbursement, so it’s all set to go (be sent through e-mail) for tomorrow morning.  They just showed a commercial for the Masters, and Sergio won it last year.  I definitely want to go again someday, but I wonder how to make it happen.  Last time, Annmarie had a connection through her work, but she’s not doing that type of work anymore, so how will ever be able to procure tickets again?
     Belinda and I are going to have dinner tonight with Ben and Dixie at their new house, an impromptu potluck that B and Dixie put together.  That will be fun!  Tomorrow, I leave for Taos to fill in for Greg (last name) for an RDA Site Visit.  I’ll leave soon after my appointment with Dr. Blue in Durango where I’ll find out more about a possible dental implant for my lower back left side where a chipped tooth was extracted.  
     Justin Thomas just made birdie on #18 at the Honda Classic to force a play-off with Luke List.  It was a sweet, relaxed arm approach to get it close for his third shot, and he almost made an eagle.  
     I just learned this morning that two of our friends...
are getting a divorce.  Sigh.  They have five children together, and their youngest is my goddaughter.  I’m devastated with this sudden and shocking news.  I came home and hugged my wife right away.  I am thankful for all of the time I’ve had with my beautiful wife, Belinda.  I’m grateful for our love and for the compromises we have made to keep our relationship strong.  What we have is a rare thing, and it appears to be getting rarer.  B and I feel fewer young people are considering marriage, yet we know some younger people who are getting married, specifically Becca and Matt and Emily and Carter.
     What makes one marriage work over another?  Why have we been so successful?  Belinda told me that despite the few times she has been upset with me, it’s never lasted longer than 24 hours.  We’ve had issues (nobody’s perfect), and the biggest one has always been religion, but we’ve made it through.  I could never foresee a time when one of us would want to give up on our relationship.  For us, it always came down to who felt stronger.  I felt stronger on some things, and Belinda compromised…out of love for me.  B has felt stronger on some things, and I’ve compromised…out of love for her.  We haven’t kept score either.  
     When talking with Dale, my father-in-law, he has said that his advice is worth a cup of coffee, so what I just wrote is worth the same.  
     Justin Thomas just made a putt for a birdie and the win, and it was his eighth win.  It was impossible not to hear his reaction.  He said, “F&*% yeah!”
     Good for him, but watch your language, young man!  He is now #1 in the race for the FedEx Cup.  Luke List was very humble with his comments, and he mentioned how it helped to renew his passion to the game.  This was his best finish ever, and it will sting for a while, since he didn’t get the win.  
     Wow!  They just replayed Justin making the winning putt two times, and I could plainly hear his reaction with both playbacks.  Oops! 

Until next time…

No comments: