Sunday, February 18, 2018

Big and Small Moments


Written on 2-4-18.

     Happy Super Bowl Sunday!  I just settled in to my spot on the couch with my wireless keyboard again, and I have my Chromecast up and running once more, too, the first time since our new flooring was put in.    
     We are going to the Edgerton’s to watch the game, but it’s really an excuse to have a family get-together and eat some delicious food.  On this day last year, we were in Phoenix for the Waste Management Open as a celebration for Emily’s and my birthdays.  Now, I am watching it with the Chromecast.  Gary Woodland is leading right now at 18 under.  
     Sticking with my goal of writing about more of my personal perspectives, I have lately been pondering big moments and small moments in my life/our lives.  I am possibly past halfway through my life now, so that’s why.  It’s also because my 51st birthday, which was a great one, by the way, but one of the...
least spectacular birthdays anyone could ever have.  Not that I put much weight on birthdays.  I enjoy celebrating them, but I know that each one is just another day.  
     Throughout my life, I’ve had big moments, and some I would say are HUGE.  Let’s start with I was born.  What were the odds?  Why me?  How is it that I’m here and not some other baby?  Born into my family?  With my brother and sister?  It’s a miracle that I am even here, so being born was possibly the hugest moment of my life, and I am thankful to be here…daily.
     Next, I would say that getting married to the love of my life, Belinda, is a HUGE moment.  Once again, after nearly dying of blood alcohol poisoning the night before, it was a miracle I made it to the altar that next evening.  Having James and Danielle were two HUGE events, of course, and I could name more, but now I’m going to switch to the smaller moments.  
     Small moments lead up to big moments.  I can think of plenty.  First, I remember the small moment Belinda noticed I came to sit with her at the front of the classroom instead of going up to sit with the cheerleaders.  I mentioned this at one of my Time to Teach trainings, during the part on classroom ecology, and I came up with a new saying, “She had me at first row.”
     Wow!  Chez Reavie just make a long putt on #18 to force a play-off.  That was amazing!  Maybe that will be considered a HUGE moment in his life?  The announcer just said it, “…some moments that live on forever.”
     Some small moments end up leading to HUGE moments.  Some small moments are possible, because of HUGE moments, too.  For example, this small moment of relaxing and tapping away on my keyboard on a Sunday, this moment is possible due to every decision, every small moment, every sacrifice, and every tip of fate that led up to it.

No comments: