Friday, February 23, 2018

A Trip to Lakewood, a New Baby, and a Story About Butch Harmon


Written on 2-18-19.

     Belinda and I are sitting out on the porch in front of #13 at the Abiquiu Inn.  She took off this Tuesday to be able to come with me on this CORE trip to El Rito Elementary. Tomorrow is Presidents’ Day, but they still have school there due to their four day weeks.  We are living the dream again, our dream.  
     It is gorgeous here.  It’s still winter, but it has the hint of spring.  We got here at 3:30, so it’s still warm outside, and it’s around 55 degrees.  It’s especially pleasant when the sun peeks out from behind the clouds.  It’s breezy, but it’s bearable.  I just put on my new wool coat to battle the breezes, though.  
     I spent last week driving to Lakewood to go be with my folks, because…I can.  I stopped along the way in Colorado Springs, and I got to touch base with Bev, Daryl, and Katie at the McDonald’s near the Garden of the Gods there.  Katie has this pregnant glow about her, and she is due at the end of March (her spring break) and the beginning of April.  She wants to have their baby girl before spring break begins, of course.  She always has a glow, but her smile was bigger...
than usual.  I left some Time to Teach books and brochures with her, and she said she would share them with her mother and some others at her school.  We’ll see if it turns into a future training.  
I recently got another training at Central Primary, but we shall see if that one actually happens, too.  The principal wants a training for only six teachers.  She plans to get subs for them, and she wants two days, also.  She realizes it is much more cost effective to train more of her staff, but she has no professional development days left this year.
      After the brief stop in the Springs, I moved on to Joe’s place and spent my first night there.  I figured that would give Mom and Dad some more time to prepare for my coming to the old homestead, not that they needed it.  I just decided to come up so last minute, however, and I know Mom feels better to have things tidied up before company, even if it’s just me.  
     After a fun and fantastic visit with Joe and Tammy (Joe and I stayed up pretty late just talking about life), I headed over to the folks the next morning in time for Dad’s follow-up appointment for his kidneys.  They are up to 68% function from their dismal 30% a few years ago, and they are now considered in the normal range for someone his age, so that was great news.  The doctor even told him she saw no need to continue seeing him.  
     While I was at Mom and Dad's, I helped out with drapes, light bulbs, errands, and some other odds and ends.  I made a simple dinner the first evening.  It is usually small stuff like that that they need help with, but they are always so appreciative.  When I left, they both were teary-eyed, and I think it was because they were grateful for the help and the visit.  We really did have a wonderful time together, and that included Ash Wednesday, a couple of Sequence games, watching the Olympics, and the best and most incredible highlight of our time together, seeing the newest family member of the Tuell family, Kensington Ruth.  
     Kensington is the anti-Lexy, a quiet sleeper who sees no point in being awake when she can catch up on her rest.  She is gorgeous, and Lexy is a fabulous big sister, too, always asking to help, or just helping without permission.  I got to hold her and feed her.  Perfect.  It was a lovely visit.
     B and I have both moved indoors now; it became too chilly outside.  
     I learned that Jeff and Tiff received lessons from one of the best golf teachers in the world, Butch Harmon, when they were out in California.  He told me that Tiff worked it out, because she mentioned that her husband had lost his swing recently.  They both took lessons, even though Tiff had never played before.  
     He remembered them working in small groups, and at one point they had some gadget on his arms to help him with his swing plane, but no lesson or take-away really stood out to him.  What did stand out, though, was his playing four holes with Butch, where he said he matched him shot for shot.  He said it was no big deal, but playing with the guy who taught Tiger Woods and matching him shot for shot for four holes would be a big deal to me.

That’s enough for now.  It’s time to head over for dinner.

No comments: