Thursday, June 7, 2018

Golf in Colorado Springs-Going Solo?

Written on 5-29-18.

On to golf…

     I played with Curt at Cherokee Ridge in Colorado Springs this past Friday, the same day we saw the new Star Wars movie Solo, and that was the first time I had played since our free round at Riverview with Bruce, C.J., and Eric.
     Curt is still on the bubble when it comes to golf.  He can’t decide if he wants to quit the game forever, or if he wants to pick it up again.  I was glad he went, though, because it’s always better to play with a friend than to play alone.  We were joined by a member there named Mike.  He was a retired teacher from Coronado High School, and he was friendly and helpful.  At the end of the round, Curt was struggling mightily, so Mike offered him advice.  Never give another play advice, I told Curt as we drove away.  Curt and I rode, and Mike walked.  After we stopped up by the green, Mike caught up again and gave his advice anyway.  I was too far away to hear what it was, but Curt (to his credit) took it in stride.  
     Without Curt knowing, I decided to play match play against him, but it was an unfair match in two ways.  First, Curt plays illegally on most holes when he jiggles his ball with his clubs into better positions, thereby improving his lie.  Second, I am better than Curt now (sorry, Curt), because I play more often.  Despite that stuff, though, it was close...
at first.  We tied with doubles on the first hole, and I won with a bogey on the next.  He won the third when I couldn’t find my tee shot, and he won the fourth when he made a long putt for his par.  I, however, won the remainder of the holes except hole #6 where we tied with bogeys.  As my game warmed up and got smoother, his game headed south.  I ended up winning two and one, and I shot a 45 with one handicap seven on the hole where I lost my ball.
     The course was wide open and very forgiving, and I really enjoyed it because of that.  I know I could lower my score if I were to play it again, and it was fun to just hang out with Curt, too.  We also enjoyed walking holes #16, #17, and #18 at the course near their home the night before.  Bev, Emily, and Belinda walked together while Curt, Carter, and I played those holes.  I was most proud of my par on the last hole.  Using only my 5-iron and my 8-iron, I took only four shots to finish our walk together by using just those two clubs.  I went 5-iron off the tee, 8-iron for my approach, 8-iron for my chip shot, and back to the 5-iron to putt it in.  And, it was mostly dark, too.  I thanked Carter or finding my tee shot; I couldn’t have done it without him.  That was fun!
     That night, Emily had a life-changing decision to make.  Should she walk and chat with the ladies or go play golf with the boys?  She chose the ladies.  Later that weekend, she shared pictures of her wedding dress with Belinda, but when I asked to see it, she said incredulously, “No, you’re a boy.”

     She also told my dad as she was getting ready to leave that she wanted to have some “me time,” so she was going to go hang out with Carter.  She had to remind dad that she’s an adult now.  Hearing her say that was quite a shock.  Little Emily is all grown up now, and she is already working at her new job, despite not knowing she was expected to start early.  Good for you, Em!

No comments: