Tuesday, August 7, 2018

A Toast to Bruce and Diane

Written on 7-1-18.

     I am watching the Quicken Loans Tournament on my Chromecast this Sunday.  Guy was literally there a couple of hours ago with ShyShay, but they left due to the heat.  On the broadcast, they are saying it’s 95º, but it feels like 110º.  Francesco Molinari is putting on a clinic in golf expertise right now and blowing away the field.  Amanda Balionis just showed how he is either first or tied for first in a variety of categories like scoring on par three, four, and five holes, strokes gained in putting and scrambling, and more.  On the back nine, he has started out eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie, birdie.  Wow!
    Tiger has gone away from -10 and back to it three times, but he just got to 11 under for the first time, a minor victory.  They just said he is leading the field in birdies, but he’s had too many bogeys and double bogeys to hinder those better scores.  I have said it, but I haven’t written it yet; Tiger will win again.  It’s just a matter of time.  The commentators are mentioning how he has had a tough time after making the turn, and how that’s becoming a repeated script.  He gets momentum, and then he loses it.  Things get tougher on the back nine for some reason.
     It’s been a tough week for us and...
for our friends, too.  We had the life celebration for Reilly yesterday at Bruce and Diane’s home, and Amanda and Belinda came home late Friday evening after attending Beth’s husband’s funeral in Phoenix.  Reilly’s life celebration went very well, in my opinion, and Belinda felt Beth was very appreciative of their taking the time to make the trip to show their love and support.  
     Tiger just made a long putt for par on the 18th to remain at 11 under.  Looks like he’ll take third place this time.  Getting closer.
     For Reilly’s celebration, Diane asked if I would speak and be the master of ceremonies once more.  I really struggled with this decision before she even made the request, knowing it was headed my way.  I didn’t want to do it, but how could I not?  When friends reach out for your help in a time of need, you do it.  They would do the same for me.  I felt this one was going to be harder, because I knew Reilly better than I knew Maggie (because of golf), and I remembered how hard it was to emcee for Maggie’s celebration.  It took an emotional and mental toll on me, for sure.
     All went very well, though.  Many people spoke passionately, sincerely, and lovingly about Reilly, and I just guided it all along.  Diane wrote an incredible poem for me to recite near the end, and I managed to get through it without any issues.  We ended the small, informal ceremony with a touching toast.  It was beautiful.  In actuality, as it turns out, I was glad and honored that they asked me, and it ended up being a fitting and successful tribute to Reilly and his life.
     What stood out to me the most from yesterday was what Mimi, Diane’s mother, said during the celebration.  She wondered aloud what it might possibly be like to be the parents of not just one, but two children with Cystic Fibrosis.  What would that require?  She mentioned courage, perseverance, and love.  We applauded what she said, and it was a magical moment.  She put into words several of the qualities that make up Bruce and Diane.  I’ve always been impressed with them, and that has been due to the high level of dignity, bravery, and calm they have projected throughout it all.  Here’s a toast to Bruce and Diane.  Cheers.  We are always here for you if you need us.

No comments: