Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Bruce Shoots a 69!

Written on 7-10-18.

     I just wrote a handwritten letter to James.  Belinda is sending a package to him for his birthday (sent way early to ensure it gets there in time), but we are also sending a children’s book to one of his friends for their new baby, and we want James to get his AztecStrong shirt, too. 
     I also just posted my 3-Pointer story above on Facebook.  It’s such a fun story that I thought I would share with others, and it includes Kevin, Jeff N., John, Jeff C., and coach, so I am curious to learn how they remember it.  

On to golf…

     I have one new birdie to report, and Bruce just played his best round of the season so far yesterday.  C.J. came up with this great idea for a game.  We switched partners every six holes, so I played with C.J. first, then Bruce, and finally Norm who was playing one last time here before heading back home today.  In the end, we would count to see who had won the most holes.  Clever game, C.J.!
     C.J. and I nearly got skunked, however, during our six holes together.  It was partly due to Bruce playing well, but it was also because C.J. and I couldn’t get anything going ourselves.  Thankfully, my new trusty 9-iron gave...
us half of hole #6 when I got a par to match Bruce’s.
     This birdie helped me get closer to Bruce’s score, but I realized there was no way I could catch Norm during those last six holes, because he was my partner.

Aztec Municipal Golf Course-Hole #17-Birdie #19 of 2018             

     I chose that trusty 9-iron again, and boy oh boy, do I like the feel of that club.  It’s smooth like the glass screen on a new iPhone.  It was the right club for this hole location on the front left side this time.  My ball landed left of the flag and actually spun back about three feet.  My putt was 12 feet or so, and it was mostly straight.  Thinking about the straight putts I practice in my living room with my putting green strip that has distances from three, five, and seven feet, I rolled my ball on that straight line to the hole, and it never left it, going straight in for the only birdie I earned this round.

     Bruce, however, earned four birdies, two on the front and two on the back.  He was even on the front nine, and then he only got one bogey on the back (#15), so he was one under on that side for a total 69!  Par is 70 on our course now.  I think we sometimes take his golf skill and amazing control for granted.  He really has it all.  Long, accurate drives. Consistent approaches.  Pinpoint pitching and precise putting, too.  It was no surprise when he won our game.  He earned 11 points, Norm had eight, I got six, and C.J. ended with three.  He was happy to get those, too.  When we played after The First Tee session today, he said he called his round yesterday a “reeky round.”  It wasn’t his best.
     We have more golf headed our way.  C.J. is off to play two scrambles with his other buddies this Thursday and Friday.  Bruce and I plan on playing on Friday together, too.  On Wednesday next week, we (Bruce, C.J., Eric, and I) are going to Hillcrest for a change of scenery.  Then we (Bruce, C.J., Mike, and I) will play in the Robbie Ward Tournament next Saturday, the 21st.  After that, it’s golf in Cancun with Eric.  It’s a good thing I am super excited about golf right now.  


Until next time…

No comments: